Discuss Brexit and the 18th Edition Regulations in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
From what I understand the 18th edition regs are expected in 2018. I just wonder what impact Brexit will have if any on the proposed date of the publication, the content and what is likely to happen moving forward.

The CENELEC requirements were adopted in the 15th edition but if we are no longer a member of the European Union, will BSI still follow the CENELEC requirements?

Yes, but considering we have all (well 52%) voted to come out of the EU for one reason or another, most peoples reasons after immigration is not being governed and ruled from Brussels. This means we are not wanting to follow rules and regulation not set down by Great Britain. Harmonisation was one such European integration which affected all in the electrical/electronic industry.

What I am saying is will the BSI stop following guidance from CENELEC as we have voted not to continue following ever closer integration with europe.

Everywhere you look (https://www.gov.uk/guidance/electrical-equipment-manufacturers-and-their-responsibilities) GB has taken on board European standards. Will this stop, will reference in the 18th edition to EC directives cease.

Maybe they will issue 18th edition and then in 2019 when Brexit is negotiated and complete they will say "right unfortunately folks we need to issue 19th ed" which omits the EU references.

CENELEC has nothing to do with the EU (at least it certainly isnt part of it).

Harmonisation of Standards is a global thing anyway - not just European.

So I really can't see that there will be any direct effect there.

Forget the EU, we are still a member of the IEC, and it is the IEC that is the driving force behind IEC 60364.
So NOTHING, I repeat, NOTHING to do with the EU nor whether the UK is a member of the EU or not.

Please, understand what you are dealing with.

Yes, but considering we have all (well 52%) voted to come out of the EU for one reason or another, most peoples reasons after immigration is not being governed and ruled from Brussels. This means we are not wanting to follow rules and regulation not set down by Great Britain. Harmonisation was one such European integration which affected all in the electrical/electronic industry.

What I am saying is will the BSI stop following guidance from CENELEC as we have voted not to continue following ever closer integration with europe.

Everywhere you look (https://www.gov.uk/guidance/electrical-equipment-manufacturers-and-their-responsibilities) GB has taken on board European standards. Will this stop, will reference in the 18th edition to EC directives cease.

Maybe they will issue 18th edition and then in 2019 when Brexit is negotiated and complete they will say "right unfortunately folks we need to issue 19th ed" which omits the EU references.

Harmonisation is not entirely European, it also has a worldwide side to it.
There is an international standard which our regulations are now closely aligned with, along with a lot of other countries. Each country obviously has their own particular local adjustments, but the basis is international.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Whenever I am in Spain or Greece and I cast my eye over their electrics , I always come to the conclusion that it's only us, who actually carry out things to eu standard!!:rolleyes4:

I must contest your acerbic,isolationistic and accusatory opinion.

Next you will be asserting that these countries follow independent thinking regarding debt V GDP,taxation and criminal law...

My faith in human nature has been rocked to it's core,and i will be rolling my boulder back in front of the cave :stooge_curly:

How about imperial cable sizes?

But seriously, nations, governments, ngos, etc. will surely keep cooperating across boarders on developing standards in order to share costs.

Also, I can't seriously see us 'de-harmonising' unless we want to completely stop all trade with other countries.

The only thing Brexit will change is that Westminster will no longer be able to blame the EU for any unpopular legilation they want to push through, but I've opened a can of worms/Pandora's box or something again here, how do I always manage it!

How about imperial cable sizes?

But seriously, nations, governments, ngos, etc. will surely keep cooperating across boarders on developing standards in order to share costs.

Also, I can't seriously see us 'de-harmonising' unless we want to completely stop all trade with other countries.

The only thing Brexit will change is that Westminster will no longer be able to blame the EU for any unpopular legilation they want to push through, but I've opened a can of worms/Pandora's box or something again here, how do I always manage it!

Of course I'm not suggesting de-harmonisation or any other reg being rolled back pre-eu involvement. I'm just wondering if going forward the regs will be based solely on the thinking of British authors or will they continue to author based on input and collaboration with European counterparts.

Reply to Brexit and the 18th Edition Regulations in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net