Discuss Brexit fallout in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

As an aside issue, as Brexit caused a leadership change in the Conservative party, and a leadership challenge in the Labour party, I'm of the view there should be a General Election. The last GE was just over a year ago, and a lot of water has flowed under the bridge since then. What do others think?

Hum... I would normally say it would be a sensible idea but I think an inconclusive GE at this time could plunge to UK into further, unnecessary turmoil at this time.

Well, I think if TM doesn't, it will dog her premiership.

She criticised Gordon Brown of the same in 2007. The fixed term parliament act makes things more difficult, but the turmoil since the referendum makes it all more important now, that we have a democratly elected Prime Minister heading an elected government.

They perhaps should wait until the Labour leadership is resolved, but then she should go to the country.

If we're going to have one political turmoil inducing vote for the sake of democracy, we may as well have another....

At least the UK exercises democracy!

Whether the UK has the stomach for a general election right now is yet to be determined IMHO.

Gordon Brown didn't even have a ballot of anyone!

I cant see we cannot. I understand our system doesn't work like this, but when I vote for my MP, I'm voting for a political party and its leader.

Not that I like to get involved in political debates; but I have to agree with you. Beside that they are running around like headless chickens, the present situation warrants an expression from the public. However is there anyone to vote for with confidence?

I should have quoted Midwest's post 120.

Last edited:
Not that I like to get involved in political debates; but I have to agree with you. Beside that they are running around like headless chickens, the present situation warrants an expression from the public. However is there anyone to vote for with confidence?

Precisely......... a shambles in the making.

That said I'm glad I'm not an Italian in Italy....

Where is Nick Clegg and the real Lib Dems lol, I would bet most would be happier with a coalition with them now. But again their stance on Europe would make huge problems for the brexit vote.....Otherwise that mob probably would add some stability in a coalition. The more I sit back and look at this country the more I fell the answer is proper proportional representation with all parties having to work together to deliver for the public. I do think tribal politics has had its day.

Where is Nick Clegg and the real Lib Dems lol, I would bet most would be happier with a coalition with them now. But again their stance on Europe would make huge problems for the brexit vote.....Otherwise that mob probably would add some stability in a coalition. The more I sit back and look at this country the more I fell the answer is proper proportional representation with all parties having to work together to deliver for the public. I do think tribal politics has had its day.

I remember Nicola Sturgeon and Alec Salmond used to bang on about PR until they got a majority........

The most representative Government the UK has had since the 2nd world war was the coelition in 2010 - voted in by around 59% of the people who bothered to vote!

But interesting to read this thread in ten years time, see who read the crystal ball right.

Good point Midwest - but what a long time to wait, though the speed life is going by, it shouldn't be long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Could be shrewd political manoeuvring by May. Either Boris is effective in his job as FS, and it keeps the Brexiters in her camp happy, or he makes a complete gaff of it, and she can kick him out to the political wilderness and forget about him for the rest of her term.

Perhaps she can be unscrupulous, like her predecessor?

Boris, OMG. Will the last person out, please turn off the light.

BJ the new Foreign Sec, crikey how many more wars will we be waging?

I laughed yesterday when I read these two posts because I thought you were joking. It was only this afternoon watching the news when I learned that you weren't.

**speechless** You couldn't make this stuff up if you tried. Boris Johnson........foreign secretary.....I'm truly speechless. I bet the politicians in the EU are really looking forward to welcoming and embracing him is his new role :).

Last edited:

Reply to Brexit fallout in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock