Discuss British Gas Local Heroes in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Gavin John Hyde

-
Esteemed
Arms
Patron
Reaction score
I received an email today telling me about this 'scheme' from British Gas called local heroes, basically they advertise and customers ring up or contact them to get jobs done. The advantage is you are making use of the British Gas brand ( i know some of there service is down right poor mind)
Fair pricing. No call-out charges. 12 month guarantee - https://www.localheroes.com/
British gas send you the job, you quote and if accepted do the work with British Gas taking a cut and handling payment to your bank account.
it seems a bit like checkatrade, ratedpeople etc... but with no fees upfront from what i can see... you only pay once a job is done.

Anybody got any first hand experience of this scheme or used it for another trade? i am minded to give it a go if there are no costs upfront... will help fill the odd gap in the diary between bigger jobs. As i am cutting back on the paid job and doing more of my own work.

The website says the following
  • Get an instant online price estimate
  • Choose a time and date to suit you (can also decide after we find someone)
  • We find a great local tradesman (Hero) and notify you by text message, usually within 15 minutes
  • Have an initial chat with the Hero to discuss your job**
  • Get a free on site Quote
  • Decide whether to go ahead with the repair or think about it for a few days
  • Pay online using a Card or PayPal once the job has been completed
**If the problem is likely to take a long time to diagnose then a quote will be provided for the diagnostic work.
To join you need
Electrical Electrical Apprenticeship, NVQ in Electrical Installation, EAL Qualification in Installing Electro-technical systems, 17th Edition. Registration to a Government approved Competent Persons scheme, such as NICEIC.
Plumbing NVQ Level 2 in England and Wales, SVQ Level 3 in Scotland, City & Guilds craft or advanced craft certificate or customer references.
Gas: Service & Repair ACS, CCN1. Plus additional qualifications depending work being carried out: CEN1, WAT1 (CENWAT), CPA1, CKR1, HTR1, DAH1. Gas Safe Registration for both individual engineers & the company as a whole.

The alarming bit is in the t and c's. this is a get out clause if ever i saw one!

Specifically we do not:
Credit check the Company

• Check the bankruptcy history of the individual tradesman or directors of the company
  • Carry out a full DBS disclosure
  • Perform a full risk assessment of the individual tradesmen
  • Prove all documentation supplied by the tradesman (eg Insurance certificates and qualification) to ensure they are not fraudulent
Should you have any doubts with the Local Hero then you should can cancel the job and let us know. We will then investigate the tradesman and take appropriate action, potentially removing them from our service.

Thoughts, opinions welcomed....

Favourite quote of the month..."...should you have any trouble with your local hero..."

Who remembers anyone saying "...that Batman...he's becoming problematic..."
apart from the Penguin,which is certainly BG,in this instance.

To the OP,get your prostate checked,twice,it will benefit you more,and yield less discomfort.

Coincidentally,these are the two "mission goals",they are working towards,with their reckless,sales driven, expansion policy :rolleyes:

Will there be a new subsection within the global company named Bodgit - Leggit & Scarper (font for branding to be worked on)

Reply to British Gas Local Heroes in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net