• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss Broken old ceiling light query in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

D

Dormouse

Hi. Hopefully an easy one for you guys. We have a light where the metal bit has eroded/broken where it holds the light bulb - the back to front, upside down L shaped bit - think old fashioned, the fitting is probably from the the 70s when the house was wired. Am I right in thinking that there is a bottom bit (the bit that holds the bulb) that screws on to a top bit that I can replace without getting a leckie in? I tried Amazon for ceiling light fitment but no luck. If I am right, please can you advise what I need to look for either on Amazon or Homebase?
The light fitting surround is like a skirt and there is a circular fitting about 5cm wide and 2cm deep above that obviously goes into the ceiling; there is no hanging wire.

I hope that is descriptive enough but I can add an image if that would help.

Please do note that I am not here for paying someone to come out so please don't let me mislead you.

Many thanks

Deborah

Picture is always helpful...but sounds like you are describing a pattress light up to the point you describe the "5cm wide" which then does not sound like a pattress. So a bit in the dark. Anyhow you seem to describe a bayonet cap fitting. Generally speaking you can not buy individual parts of a light fitting. You have to buy the whole thing and use the bit you want and throw away the rest, not something I would recommend. If the light fitting is as old as you say there is a likliehood the cable in it (from the bayonet cap the the cable terminations are brittle with age and heat. Suggest changing the whole thing. Also suggest if you are not confident, get an electrician to assist. A minor job maybe £20 ish even though I know you are not willing to do that but can only offer the best advice in answer to your question.
But anyway as a tenant you should advise the Landlord who should take appropriate steps on you behalf.

Lamp bases are available, but there are many variations
we would need to see a picture to be more specific
or else take the fitting off the light
then take it down to a local electrical supply house
and they will help you out

Thank you all. Bayonet is the correct term and I googled patress and I think that's right too. I think by taking the image I have answered my own question - I can see a wire so that says it's not a screw on bit in my mind :(

I measured the circular bit at the top (?patress) and it's nearer 10cm than 5cm; not that I expect that makes any difference now.

If I'm correct, best I clean it before Mr Nosey comes round!

As an aside, when the house was rewired some 10-15 years ago; they changed the plug sockets and light switches but not the ceiling light fittings. Does that mean they are still have the old wiring going in to them?

Many thanks for your time and patience.

Broken old ceiling light query Light fittin - EletriciansForums.net

Broken old ceiling light query Light fitting 2 - EletriciansForums.net

It's called a batten holder, you'll be able to pick one up at
any Electrical wholesalers or B & Q, Wickes etc.
You may be able to change just the lampholder portion, but will need to buy the complete fitting.

Please make sure you turn the Electricity off before opening the fitting.

Reply to Broken old ceiling light query in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back