Discuss BS7671:2018 in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Midwest

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I've only just recently added my yellow OSG to my collection of throne room reading, at an expensive £26, only to find errata falling on the floor.

I've been reading here & elsewhere, that the next edition of BS7671 will likely be published on 1st July 2018 and that training establishments already developing their courses, including exam for £450 approx.

It seems significant changes will be;
Protection against over voltages, protection against fire, changes to section 753 and a new section on energy efficiency; BS 7671: the 18th Edition report - IET Electrical - http://electrical.------.org/wiring-matters/61/18th-edition-report/index.cfm

Now I'm just a lowly house basher, but to me there seems to be little else I can cram into my A3 CU's without adding over voltage devices, arc fault detection devices and telling my customers they can only have a new light fitting in the kitchen, if the rest of the house is converted to LED.

Truth is tad bored today, no work (gotta mop the kitchen floor, before her indoors comes home), but I'm just wondering if I can be arsed with this after the 18th edition, not to mention the extra £450 + £70 + £26?

Tell me it's not gonna be that bad. :(

why is it that it's the same leccy as we've had for donkeys' years. it hurts just the same when you poke your pinkies in the wrong orifices, but the rules on how we throw it in change every couple of years....... oh, yeah, no change means no new suits and computers at IET HQ.

There seems to be a lot of things added to BS7671 that us day to day sparks having nothing to do with and should have been a seperate British Standard if not there will be parts soom that have nothing to do with electrical installation

BS 7671 is updated regularly to keep the scams, and pen pushers in work...... the last couple of updates were hardly necessary to buy the OSG, the big book and the other associated requirements......

I think that AMD2 and AMD3 should be free to those who can provide proof of purchase of AMD1!

I pay for an annual online digital subscription and get BS7671 and all updates. All eight guidance notes. On site guide. Design guide etc. £180 p.a.

Make more sense if they sold them in a ring binder format.

Just print out amendments and change the relevant sheets as necessary.

I understand there is a cost in writing and composing the regulations, hence the extortionate cost. Surely this way would cut publishing costs to next to nothing.

Not sure that the last two amendments required a new book.
Still haven't bothered getting the yellow copy.
Last time I tried the electronic version, needed internet connection to view. Believe it has changed, but even so £180 is extortionate, considering I never read the OSG and GNs.

Looks like a load of tripe going into the 18th anyway. Not a lot will change in the real world, but we'll have to fork out again for exams and books. Yippee!

I'm a bit behind with these new proposals, does anyone have any detailed info about arc fault detectors and their application in the new version ?

There is an IET link in my OP if you didn't spot, not much detail though. Googling arc fault detection device, brings up quite a few hits, its seems already being used in parts of Europe (e.g. Germany). They seem to be either 3 module devices (mcb/rcd/afdd) or 1 module to add to mcb or rcbo. Siemens & Eaton already manufacture them;

Eaton Launches Arc Fault Detection Device to Reduce Electrical Safety Risk - http://www.eaton.eu/Europe/OurCompany/News/PRProducts/PCT_2124513

Brandschutzschalter AFDD für umfassenden Brandschutz im Haus. - http://www.eaton.eu/Europe/Electrical/ProductsServices/CircuitProtection/ArcFaultDetectionDevice-AFDD/index.htm#tabs-4

Seems the grown ups on the IET forum are not very impressed with them;

IET Forums - 18th Edition email - did you get it? - http://www.------.org/forums/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=205&threadid=66046&STARTPAGE=2&FTVAR_FORUMVIEWTMP=Linear

Think we gonna need a bigger CU! :rolleyes:

If you understand it, can you let me know :)

Well what I seem to have gleaned so far is they work similarly to an RCD, do much the same job, but can't be easily tested for correct operation. They will expand the size of a CU considerably, increase the cost even more, possibly be the cause of frequent nuisance tripping, and they are not even proven to work properly.

I can see some stern opposition from those more knowledgeable than me when the public draft comes out.

See now I thought it was all those plastic CU's causing the fires!

Seems the AFDD, fills the gap between MCB & RCD, and primarily used on socket final circuits, but not exclusively.

I note the Siemens vid shows a corded drill arcing & sparking, causing a AF. We'll all have to go cordless. :)

Reply to BS7671:2018 in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net