Discuss BS7671 & Fire Safety Building Control Approved in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi, Just need some advice.

bs7671 Says about cabling above head height, in ceilings etc. must be in tray above route of escape......

So if you come across cabling which isn't in tray or tied up or Round band up - would you leave it or fix it?

Does it say anything about what you need to use to tie up, are cable ties sufficient or does it have to be round band?

(I am not an electrician BTW)

It actually says cables installed in escape routes shall be supported against premature collapse in the event of a fire. Non metallic cable support systems must not be used as the sole means of support.
So metallic containment systems such as trunking and tray/basket, metallic tie wraps and fixings/supports would satisfy the regulations.

so would pvc mini trunking or flexible trunking with steel saddles or steel tie wraps. As Mr. Westword10 said what are you doing?
Pvc conduit with metallic saddles would do but if it's on show below a false ceiling as it where it doesn't look very pretty in my opinion.
Pvc trunking with those metallic clips inside (forgot the name) fitted round the cables would also do.
Never heard of flexible trunking tho or do you mean flexi duct?

Given the recent tower fire in london and the current evacuation of residents in other buildings due to fire safety issues. i am fully expecting in the next year or two to see a complete rewrite of fire safety regs from the obvious building compliance issues down to the types of clips, routing of cables etc.. The rules may or may not already be adequate but there will be a new need for documentation and accountability.

Whether everything needs reconsideration or it will be over reaction in others time will tell. but i see changes coming and lots of them.

i was talking to somebody this week and he runs a training centre and they are already marketing fire safety and fire compliance courses to cash in. where one leads others follow. so dont be surprised if your employers send you on a course or two!

Reply to BS7671 & Fire Safety Building Control Approved in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock