Discuss BT sockets in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

monkee

BT points can any one guide me on the best results do your have you main router connected to your master point of the home ie the one BT tell you to split into two for testing or can it go any were , should you connect 2, 3 , 4 & 5 or can you get away with 2 ,5 what dose the others do, with the old days yes but do will still need them today! with the number of points should you do one in four for a master if you go in and out daisy chain many thanks

daisy chain is preferred. just connect 2 & 5. router might work a bit faster if connected to master, but usually makes little difference.

That's my thoughts too, just got a customer moaning about internet speed and that I had fitted it to the wrong one it only makes a difference when you have very little to begin with cheers any one else

Yeah just use 2 and 5 and shouldn't makes any difference if u use the master or secondary point for the router. Also think the maximum number of secondary point is 4.

be my guest. the moulton marauder strikes again. btw. was in moulton t'other night. old guy i'd done work for 12 months ago had total power loss. went out 6.30pm. no power. lost neutral. had to call in sp energy, digging up the road to find corroded joint. estate only been built 20 years.

are they saying their broad band is slower now. what can happen is while you were working on it the system if not turned off keeps trying to find the signal and drops its speed again and again and again. If you have your 50v at each point and phones are fine that is prob the cause. Only use the 2 wire system do not connect on anything other than 2 and 5 unless old phones etc are being used (not with side router though)

the mighty tel sees all, reads all, learns nowt.

edit: the nickname "the mighty tel" came from a poker school i used to be with. playing texas hold 'em. there were 2 full houses, both with court cards, and i was holding 4 5s. was a mighty earner for tel.

be my guest. the moulton marauder strikes again. btw. was in moulton t'other night. old guy i'd done work for 12 months ago had total power loss. went out 6.30pm. no power. lost neutral. had to call in sp energy, digging up the road to find corroded joint. estate only been built 20 years.

Can't say encountered that one but was working away last week, next time in area pop in for a brew I'll treat you

used to need to connect 3 on the old pulse dial phones. no longer needed with tone dial.

Also think the maximum number of secondary point is 4.

The number of sockets on a phone line is unlimited (within reason). There is a limit on the number of phones and other devices plugged in. Normally this is given by adding up the REN (ringer equivalence number) of the phones. This should not exceed 4, otherwise there is insufficient ringing current for them to work properly. A standard old style BT phone had a REN of 1.

Daft question maybe, but I'll ask it!

Why is 3 connected in a lot of houses?

If you find 3 connected it can improve broadband speed quite noticeably if you disconnect them as it reduces interference on the phone line. If you come across an installation with an I-Plate or Interstitial plate fitted these were installed to disconnect the old bell circuit on terminal 3 in the early days of ADSL broadband

The number of sockets on a phone line is unlimited (within reason). There is a limit on the number of phones and other devices plugged in. Normally this is given by adding up the REN (ringer equivalence number) of the phones. This should not exceed 4, otherwise there is insufficient ringing current for them to work properly. A standard old style BT phone had a REN of 1.

Don't know if they are still available but a number of years ago there was a REN booster available which allowed up to 11 REN on a line

Thanks guys for some more info on Tel coms, just yesterday I had to disconnect a phone line off the building ready for demo and was asked to relocate in to the site office no problem. But when I got there the phone wire was cut off ok but which core was connected to A&B would it matter what way round they go, is there some form of test equipment to check or is it just use speed checker on the internet?

Line polarity shouldn't matter these days

You can get cheap line polarity testers or an engineers butt phone if you want to check though

I must be being dim..... again please!

Each phone 'line' into a property consists of two cores (there may be more cores in the cable to allow for additional lines).

There is a continuous voltage of about 48V DC across the two cores (called 'A' and 'B'). Tel was suggesting the use of a suitable DC voltmeter to check which core was which, the positive being 'B'. The terminals for the incoming line on the back of a master socket should be marked 'A' and 'B'.

When the line is being rung, there will also be a higher, AC, voltage superimposed.

Reply to BT sockets in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net