Discuss BT wiring in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Leesparkykent

Esteemed
Reaction score
What's the preferred method for wiring telephone points? Is it best to Star/spider wire or loop in and out in a radial? which method does BT prefer? Is there any benefit of one over the other? Cheers

i find it easier to daisy chain them. only problem then is if you get a fault close to the master, youlose all slave pints, whereas with star config. , you only lose 1.

i find it easier to daisy chain them. only problem then is if you get a fault close to the master, youlose all slave pints, whereas with star config. , you only lose 1.
I've never really had a preference partly because not knowing the ins and outs of whats better I suppose. Using the daisy chain method do you have to put an adsl filter on every point if you have broadband plugged in? I remember it being mentioned on another thread about spider wiring.

It does not matter whether you daisy chain or radial wire the slaves from the master socket. There are no components on the slave sockets so whatever is most convenient from the wiring point of view is OK. Clearly as electric says star wiring is most secure as a loss of a link in the chain will lose everything after the disconnect. Generally it depends on the layout whether you radial or star the wiring.

If you use a filtered master front that will be the only filter you need. If you need the broadband plugged into a slave socket, use 3 pair phone cable and use the green pair as unfiltered, connected to the filters unfiltered terminals, often marked A+B, though some models don't have them fitted. Then connect the green pair to 2 and 5 in the socket you want to use for broadband.

The method I use is determined purely by which is easier for the particular layout. The last one I did combined both, with one radial serving one point and another serving two.

Most houses I do have a euro plate in each room so has twin sat, TV, telephone and RJ45.
Sat twin cable from each point to loft, Rj45's back to router position and usually star point or daisy chain the BT.

I have star pointed, but usually just loop in out from point to point.IMO the trouble with star connection it that with the front plate of the BTnte5 it is only really designed for 2 connections any more, and the jaws open on the idc and wires start to pop out.

sorry I used the wrong term there, not a spreader box but a connection box , but be careful using ordinary choc connectors as they can break the conductors if done up too tight.

Reply to BT wiring in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock