Discuss Builders done a runner.... in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Cadgey123

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Been doing a bit work for a "builder" over the last few months.
He has been paying my invoices reasonably on time and often.

I have started a rewire recently which I had taken deposit. Now first fix has just been complete the has went MIA.
The client is getting worried now as they are unable to contact.

Anyone know what what steps I am likely to take now?

if you can't contact the builder, then liase with the client direct. let him sort out a replacement builder if needed. do not do any more work for this builder until you get assurances of payment ( best upfront).

Builders have melt downs every now and again - they get ill and have a week or two without contact. I know one that does it like clockwork - he can't be warned about working too hard too often and he's terrible at relaxing when not working. Could be this.

My mate is like that , he is on the verge of a nervous breakdown.

I contacted some other contractors he works with and they are all saying he is uncontactable.

He had a large valuation sum deposited in his account on Friday from the client we are working for. I reckon he is gonski!!

Maybe I should wait a couple of days, but I have got bills to pay.

I contacted some other contractors he works with and they are all saying he is uncontactable.

He had a large valuation sum deposited in his account on Friday from the client we are working for. I reckon he is gonski!!

Maybe I should wait a couple of days, but I have got bills to pay.
How well do you know him? Do you know where he lives? Time is off the essence imo especially if he received a payment Friday.

If you are SE,you should never put yourself in a position,where the residence of someone who will owe money,is unknown.

He could be in hospital,locked up,or in a Spanish bar...it looks like more un-paid hours may be expended,in seeking an answer :(

Some years ago,i undertook a job for such a new arrival...all smiles,money and excuses. I tracked him,in advance, to an address which i guessed to be his residence,and 5 months on,when he thought he had "ponzi'd" me with his biggest bill...i visited.

This turned out to be his knock-off's flat,and he actually lived just up the road...with his wife of thirty years...

That cheque,cleared lovely ;)

Don't panic.
Make secondary arrangements to pay any accounts
Make reasonable attempts to contact him.
phone, e mail,facebook,letters
If no response than contact legal people
do it by the book !

As mentioned above, do it by the book.

Don't do any more work, and if your contract or terms and conditions make provision for it then proceed to remove all materials supplied &/ installed so far.

I reckon if he had instructed the dude correctly,regarding contracts,terms and conditions,he would have an address,even a PO box or email address,on which you are entitled to serve legal notices on.

Legally,he would need the permission of the owner of any property,to access,in order to remove gear. This stands even if the builder owns it.

Obviously,there are a dozen "other ways",but it boils down to risk and cost.

My personal advice,having been involved in some recovery work,would be to investigate the legal options,weigh the benefits,and maybe accept putting it down to an expensive lesson in SE learning.

If people are happy spending thousands on gym membership and diets...and still look tubby,it might prove to be good value ;)

I made the mistake of paying a plumber up front for boiler. He assured me it would be installed before I was due to move back into the house. Few days before, no sign of boiler or plumber. Chased through his mate ... oh, he's gone away for two weeks! Now. I wonder what my up front payment was used for!
Lessons - 1. Don't pay upfront in cash.
2. I won't be using that plumber again.

Get money upfront first always or I won't do anything, lost a bit of work due to these methods and sometimes it doesn't always work if you need extra due to issues you may encounter but at least you are never totally out of pocket.

I see lots of posts about asking for the money up front.
From a customers point of view, what's to stop the guy doing work for you doing a runner once they have the money?

Next time I will probably be more vigilant to these situations.

I did think it was odd he came out of no where offering me all this decent work. Maybe it was naive of myself.

He gave me around 10k of invoiced paid work by his company.

Bur the last look he is owed us around 5k for the invoices oustanding and is still uncontactable.
I managed to recoup some of that cost by going round the job site and gathering materials not used yet and speaking direct to the clients.

Anyone working in the London area

Be very weary of contracts with :
Ecobuild /
Baltic Projects

Decorating London | Contractors London | Baltic Projects - http://balticprojects.co.uk/en/home-english/

As a punter if I were paying upfront for an expensive bit of kit like a boiler I would make sure that I paid the supplier direct hopefully in agreement with the plumber.

Always best to have a contract in place for the larger jobs and the max you pay is say 10 to 15% upfront and the rest in instalments as the job goes along.

Reply to Builders done a runner.... in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock