Discuss Building Services Controls Course in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

R

Rockstar94

Hi guys,

Prob going over old ground here but does anyone recommend a good controls course, I can fault find on a panel but its more knowing why, for example certain plant needs interlocking, sequences for startups etc. I know this prob sounds daft but any help would be great.

Best advice is to study the drawings (if any) or trace out the cables with visuals.. Sometimes it takes hours to trace what is a simple circuit..
Thru experience and many a change over you become a bit more quicker at solving problems regarding interlocks and relay switches..

Drawings always help..!!

Yep sadly like you said rarely are they there! Was thinking a building services course may help as like I said its not the the wiring and electrical side it's more the reasons they are linked a certain way and why we need certain controls sequenced

The usual plant what needs interlocking (safety features) on a school heating installation is the gas flow proving, air flow proving, pressurisation unit.. These must be provided so that if any didn't prove then the heating wouldn't go on..

Also fire alarm interlocks so the gas supply is isolated on an alarm.

I really learned a lot thru various tradesman as my main apprenticeship was electrical.

No sure if there is any college course as such..

Prob a university degree covers safety aspects..

Our designer in house designs our drawings but he's never been qualified to do it. Just learned thru experience and through specifications from clients.

Yeah my route was electrical too but mostly install. As in supplying the panel and that's it! Our controls engineer is leaving and I'm being looked at to fill the gap as well as being the new QS

It's not install I work on now. It's building services maintenance. our client requires biannual controls services and obviously remedial work from those services. However I've never had to get too in depth until now as my main responsiblity was install and compliance

It's reflectively simple as long as you know the basics. I've been working for 13 years mostly install and fault finding.. Changeovers in weekends etc.. That tests you to the max that.. Still learning everyday tbh

Most interlocks are fire/gas , boiler/system pressure..

Really to make sure it doesn't add to an already dangerous situation under a fault.

Frost stats/sensors are to stop AHU coils etc.. Freezing and bursting ..

Where u based?

I'd imagine you could get sum decent info online regarding a lot of it now.

What I tend to do is kid on I know what I'm doin, google it, find out then rectify the problem.

That way ill always remember.!!

That is a hassle.. :) there's no heating and the fm division is standing behind you!! Panic..!!

I've had sum nightmares recently, belling out old bell wire for controls in an v.old school. Murder.!!

Went well in the end..

A lot of bms controls in these commercial/industrial premises are in dire need of upgrading aswell

I left I&C sparking and done intruder alarms for 2 years then 28 years ago moved to BMS/HVAC controls then facilities maintenance / management all self learned. Satchwell do a good HVAC controls book but they are like hens teeth and you aint getting mine lol.
For building maintenance it helps if you know
Fire/Intruder alarm systems
Fire sprinkler systems
Emergency lighting
3 phase distribution
HVAC BMS controls and theory
Understanding plant ie Boilers,Chillers,Condensers,AHUs,

Now you are not expected to know it all but having a grasp of it helps with a base trade of electrical or mecanical technician at the back of you. Plus above all is LEARN it will not drop on your lap so you need to ask and learn. It was a good living for me for 28 years but I chucked it because it is mostly a shift job and my body was saying enough

Reply to Building Services Controls Course in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock