Discuss Buried junction boxes regulations in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

R

Rodger Quinn

Hi there, I am looking for some info on the current regs regarding the burying of junction boxes in my garden for outdoor lighting on a retaining wall.

The junction boxes will be behind the retaining wall. I am using 3 core SWA and ip66 boxes.

Upon reading some info I have picked up that junction boxes must be accessible at all times with the caveat that maintenance free boxes can be used.

Can someone clarify if this is the case for underground outdoor setups as well? Will I need to buy MF boxes lest I make my current boxes accessible for testing etc?

Thanks

Rodger.

Hi there, I am looking for some info on the current regs regarding the burying of junction boxes in my garden for outdoor lighting on a retaining wall.

The junction boxes will be behind the retaining wall. I am using 3 core SWA and ip66 boxes.

Upon reading some info I have picked up that junction boxes must be accessible at all times with the caveat that maintenance free boxes can be used.

Can someone clarify if this is the case for underground outdoor setups as well? Will I need to buy MF boxes lest I make my current boxes accessible for testing etc?

Thanks

Rodger.
Think you have answered your question, I'm not sure it the box has to be maint free, but the internal connections certainly will need to be maint free, perhaps someone else can enlighten both you and me regarding the actual box itself, remember the box needs to be selected properly for whatever environment you are installing it in.

The MF standard (BS5733) is pretty tough with lots of testing and so it's expensive for the manufacturers to qualify. A fully compliant set up is for the whole accessory - the box and connectors together. If your JB were compliant, the box would be marked MF, and I'm not aware of anyone doing an IP66 one(?). Best move would be to keep the JB accessible or make a permanent joint as per reg 526.3 .

I found this IET note helpful :
http://electrical.------.org/wiring-matters/42/junction-boxes.cfm?type=pdf

The MF standard (BS5733) is pretty tough with lots of testing and so it's expensive for the manufacturers to qualify. A fully compliant set up is for the whole accessory - the box and connectors together. If your JB were compliant, the box would be marked MF, and I'm not aware of anyone doing an IP66 one(?). Best move would be to keep the JB accessible or make a permanent joint as per reg 526.3 .

I found this IET note helpful :
http://electrical.------.org/wiring-matters/42/junction-boxes.cfm?type=pdf
Thanks for that Wilko never to old to learn are we? as an edit, would an metal adaptable box say 4"x4", with Wagos as the connection medium be classed as MF?

Thanks for that Wilko never to old to learn are we? as an edit, would an metal adaptable box say 4"x4", with Wagos as the connection medium be classed as MF?
I believe that Wago connectors are only considered MF when used with the appropriate enclosure. (WagoBox?)

I believe that Wago connectors are only considered MF when used with the appropriate enclosure. (WagoBox?)
Thanks mate, seems odd though, but I don't make the rules, so in conclusion, for it to be a truly MF joint both box and connectors have to be MF?

Thanks

Rodger.

I would advise against burying connection boxes unless they are specifically designed for the task. Even an IP66 box filled with water repellent gel can be the culprit of a failed circuit in not too long at all.
Any cables you bury will need to satisfy the regs regarding buried cables as well. I would consider getting an electrician to design, install and test this project for you.

If I bury I use resin joints seen too many joints filled with silicone, gell or other gunge all will fail eventually and will be a pain to sort.

If I bury I use resin joints seen too many joints filled with silicone, gell or other gunge all will fail eventually and will be a pain to sort.

Ahuh. Last ones I saw were IP66 boxes with good quality compression glands, all nipped up tight and filled with "magic gel". IR readings were through the floor after 18 months of being installed.

Would definitely use steel boxes, at least that way the armour may get earthed. Keep them accessible with Wagos inside.

The boxes I have are plastic, using external gland kits and had intended buying the piranha type nuts to carry through the earth for the steel.

Sounds like resin joints are more reliable anyway so I think I will rethink and use them. I take it I can tee off from a resin joint kit? Any particular recommendation to use?

I did think about getting an electrician in to do the work but I like doing things myself, learning the proper way to do the job and carrying out the work, it's satisfying. Even if that means I'm rolling about the solem of the house or trawling the internet for answers

The job will be inspected, tested and certified before burial by a certified electrician so that I can add the certificate to my current building works completion.

The replies are much appreciated, thanks for the help.

I did think about getting an electrician in to do the work but I like doing things myself, learning the proper way to do the job and carrying out the work, it's satisfying. Even if that means I'm rolling about the solem of the house or trawling the internet for answers

The job will be inspected, tested and certified before burial by a certified electrician so that I can add the certificate to my current building works completion.
Sounds like the work is part of building work subject to planning or building regs, or the equivalent in Scotland where I believe you are from OP? The circuit could also be new? I'm not sure where Scotland is with third party inspection & testing, so you might need to tread carefully.

Sounds like the work is part of building work subject to planning or building regs, or the equivalent in Scotland where I believe you are from OP? The circuit could also be new? I'm not sure where Scotland is with third party inspection & testing, so you might need to tread carefully.

This is a consideration I hadn't foreseen. I will contact the council tomorrow and get confirmation on that, thanks.

I believe Wago now do an IP rated box

They do the Wagobox capsule, but like all boxes, the IP rating is only offered as the box is sold, and is compromised as soon as you drill and add your own glands. It's up to you to make sure your cable entry method maintains a similar IP rating.

Reply to Buried junction boxes regulations in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock