Discuss bury cable joints in masonry wall? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

bensk

-
Reaction score
are we allowed to? what do the regs say in regards to this? maintenance free joint (so crimp or even a wago?) and would the joint then have to be in an ip box? or can we just slap half a roll of tape round it? all of this before the plaster bonding is applied?

Why are you asking? The answer to this will give better replies.
Why not just replace the cable?
From a Regs point of view the connection would have to be Maintenance Free.
If you have drilled through a cable then repairing the cable by soldering or crimping and then heatshrink would do as a last resort. This is kind of frowned upon though.
If you are looking at using Maintenance Free connectors like Wago then there was a thread that said the these connectors have to be in a Wago Maintenance Free box for the connection to be classed as MF.
The circuit will of course need testing afterwards.
It is best to replace the cable.

solder them (properly), heat shrink over the exposed copper, wrap it up with self amalgamating tape.

When i crimp a cable all i do is- insulated thru crimps (quality ones) then apply self amalgamating tape to the whole joint. I use knipex crimps that actually crimp properly unlike the Chinese carp on amazon. Always make sure the joint isn't under stress either. Its not frowned upon imho, as long as you can crimp properly and tug test i dont see an issue. Plus its less stress and hassle than the wago box route.

are we allowed to? what do the regs say in regards to this? maintenance free joint (so crimp or even a wago?) and would the joint then have to be in an ip box? or can we just slap half a roll of tape round it? all of this before the plaster bonding is applied?

If it's before the plasterer has started then it would be far better to just replace the cable rather than add a joint in to a new installation.

Reply to bury cable joints in masonry wall? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock