Discuss buzzing LED's in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

J.C.E

-
Arms
Reaction score
On a full house refurb I done the elec's for- put in all LED'S

LED lamps- 5w dim able Osrams
Dimmers- BG nexus (with the new little dial on the back- not actually too sure what this does)
downlights- JCC fireguard

I put in around 35 altogether- and 4 or 5 of them buzz which the client has picked up on!

swapped these 4/5 out with another brand new led- but still same thing

builder suggested I swapped them all for 50w halogens- which I laughed at!

any suggestions- why just a few random ones buzzing?
what does the dial on the back of the bg nexus dimmer do?

cheers guys

Have you checked to see if the lamps are compatible with the dimmer. Normally on LED dimmers, there is scope to set the minimum dimming level for the LED lamps on that circuit, otherwise if its set to low, the lamps might not illuminate when the dimmer is turned on, on it's minimum setting - might be what the dial is for - what did it say on the manufacturers instructions?

The dimmer also will have a minimum/maximum wattage. Personally, would use another dimmer manufacturer, Varilight, Zano, MK have released an LED dimmer. Needs to be matched to the Lamps.

Have you checked to see if the lamps are compatible with the dimmer. Normally on LED dimmers, there is scope to set the minimum dimming level for the LED lamps on that circuit, otherwise if its set to low, the lamps might not illuminate when the dimmer is turned on, on it's minimum setting - might be what the dial is for - what did it say on the manufacturers instructions?

The dimmer also will have a minimum/maximum wattage. Personally, would use another dimmer manufacturer, Varilight, Zano, MK have released an LED dimmer. Needs to be matched to the Lamps.

guessing the osram lamps are compatiable- as its only a handful out of 35 that buzz

It might be something simple, but you need to check these things first. Have you tried a new lamp in a new downlight, lose connection? Shoot me down, but have you connected the dimmer correctly, manufactures stipulate which terminal the load is connected to.

3x 5w's on one in bedroom that 2 of the lamps seem to buzz (15w load)
8x 5w's on one in dining room that 2 of lamps seem to buzz (50w load)
so shouldnt be an issue with min/max load

osram is a fairly decent quality too no?

thinking of swapping out dimmers to Varilight V-Pro | LED Dimmer Switch | Downlights Direct - https://www.downlightsdirect.co.uk/varilight-v-pro.html
as i know varilight vpro normally work well with LED- no sure if you had any experience with BG nexus dimmer on LED'S?

If the dimmers are capable of running loads as low as 15w then it sounds like a dimmer-lamp compatibility issue to me. LED dimmers should usually be trailing edge dimmers unless otherwise stated by the lamp manufacturer and with LED's the dimmer shouldn't go below 20% of full brightness as a rule of thumb.

Reply to buzzing LED's in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock