Discuss C&G 2365 Level 3/Safe isolation and testing in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hello everyone.
I am due to take my practical exam for Level 3 on Monday but am totally unprepared. I seriously struggle to remember the safe isolation and testing procedures so literally ANY advice would be perfect right now.
Thanks!
Jake

Hello everyone.
I am due to take my practical exam for Level 3 on Monday but am totally unprepared. I seriously struggle to remember the safe isolation and testing procedures so literally ANY advice would be perfect right now.
Thanks!
Jake

Permission
Identify Isolation point for circuit
Switch off, Lock off, post notice
Use two pole voltage tester
Test on known live
test on circuit worked on
If Dead, test on known live again
All clear? Start work.
Btw when doing practical they look for Live on last and off first in every combo.

Permission
Test on known live
All clear? Start work.
Btw when doing practical they look for Live on last and off first in every combo.

That's so simple! Also in what order do I test in? My mind is totally blank and sadly it had to happen just days before my exam

Permission
Test on known live
All clear? Start work.

Thank you by the way, didn't mean for my response to come across without seeming grateful

Switch off loads then switch off supply, remove cover from board, install lock off device and sign put the key in your pocket or that's a fail!

Then 12 point test, if you don't count 12 you have missed 1 and it is a fail

1- test lamps in proving unit
2- L1 to earth
3- L2 to earth
4- L3 to earth
5- L1 to neutral
6- L2 to neutral
7- L3 to neutral
8- L1 to L2
9- L2 to L3
10- L1 to L3
11- neutral to earth
12- test lamps in proving unit

Switch off loads then switch off supply, remove cover from board, install lock off device and sign put the key in your pocket or that's a fail!

Then 12 point test, if you don't count 12 you have missed 1 and it is a fail

1- test lamps in proving unit
2- L1 to earth
3- L2 to earth
4- L3 to earth
5- L1 to neutral
6- L2 to neutral
7- L3 to neutral
8- L1 to L2
9- L2 to L3
10- L1 to L3
11- neutral to earth
12- test lamps in proving unit

Would these steps be relevant to all circuits?

the steps I posted are if your isolating a three phase board at the main isolator, remember to test on the primary side of the isolator where the cable comes in!

These steps are the same if your isolating a 3 phase circuit and for a single phase circuit, L-N, L-E and E - N test lamps before and after!

Do you have an on site guide? All the diagrams in there for testing with good pictures

Don't forget your PPE. Some colleges require you to select appropriate PPE like rubber gloves (marigolds), googles/safety glasses, stand on rubber mat (usually provided) etc. Sometimes it will be a black test box that you test at, not the actual isolater/mcb but the tests as described above are the same.

Jay

Last edited:
the steps I posted are if your isolating a three phase board at the main isolator, remember to test on the primary side of the isolator where the cable comes in!

These steps are the same if your isolating a 3 phase circuit and for a single phase circuit, L-N, L-E and E - N test lamps before and after!

Do you have an on site guide? All the diagrams in there for testing with good pictures

I'll get all the steps written down to better prepare myself. I do indeed have the OSG so I'll give it a read to see if that helps

Don't forget your PPE. Some colleges require you to select appropriate PPE like rubber gloves (marigolds), googles/safety glasses, stand on rubber mat (usually provided) etc. Sometimes it will be a black test box that you test at, not the actual isolater/mcb but the tests as described above are the same.

Jay

I was wondering if any specific PPE was required but if so they I will be able to find it at college

Reply to C&G 2365 Level 3/Safe isolation and testing in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock