Discuss C&G 2365 Level 3/Safe isolation and testing in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Remember a golden rule that applies throughout the testing regime,test (and null where necessary) your instruments before using or relying on their readings or values
The safe isolation test you mentioned is half to do with testing the instrument before actually relying on it to give an accurate result

Remember a golden rule that applies throughout the testing regime,test (and null where necessary) your instruments before using or relying on their readings or values
The safe isolation test you mentioned is half to do with testing the instrument before actually relying on it to give an accurate result

Might sound silly but when would I null the test instrument? I assume it'd come be after lock off but I may be wrong?

What instrument are you using? cant see how you are going to null a voltage indicator, it will either indicate a voltage or it wont. You prove whether it is working by using a proving unit.

Last edited:
Hello everyone.
I am due to take my practical exam for Level 3 on Monday but am totally unprepared. I seriously struggle to remember the safe isolation and testing procedures so literally ANY advice would be perfect right now.
Thanks!
Jake

What instrument are you using? cant see how you are going to null a voltage indicator, it will either indicate a voltage or it wont. You prove whether it is working by using a proving unit.

Please remember what you asked in the opening question

The lad wanted tips on testing procedure,he would be, or at least should be, aware of the functions and operating procedure of each instrument/range:rolleyes:

Fair enough, although the original question focused on the safe isolation procedure, which was why I made the valid point that a voltage indicator is what it is and cannot be nulled, Jake's answer as to whether he should null the instrument after lock off, seemed to me at least he thought the point you brought up about null as required, indicated to Jake that the Voltage indicator should be nulled, my reply was meant to assure him that there is not a need, or more importantly no method to null a VI, also I made the point that a VI is proved before and after use. I'm sorry if that offended anyone, most of all Jake.

I have quoted my own post because.in fairness to Pete,although no criticism would be reasonable or even intended of himself,I can see where twisted knickers have been introduced to the thread

Having re read my own post,I can see where Jake has mistakenly assumed the 2nd part was indicating a voltage tester
The safe isolation procedure "is"part self test of the instrument,however, it will of course have no relevance to adjusting/nulling applicable to other test procedures

I am also sorry for any confusion he may have been presented by myself

For testing order I learned it years ago using Alan Lynchs 'CRIPPER'

CRIP are dead tests, PER are live tests. So in order:

CONTINUITY of protective conductors (earthing bonding and cpcs etc)
Continuity of RING finals (3 stage test)
INSULATION resistance
POLARITY (although will be confirmed throughout continuity tests in reality)

POLARITY (live tests now, this tests incoming supplies polarity)
EARTH fault loop impedance (including pfc)
RCD tests

Then finish off with functional testing

Reply to C&G 2365 Level 3/Safe isolation and testing in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock