Discuss Cabin temporary supplies in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi,just looking for some clarity on feed to 4 site cabins situated 170 metres from main builders supply (single phase). Looking to work out diversity for cabins with 240v plug on outside but not seeing what to class them as- 'stationary equipment'? Tried getting size of cable needed but making sure before such a long run gets ordered. Tia

Hi,just looking for some clarity on feed to 4 site cabins situated 170 metres from main builders supply (single phase). Looking to work out diversity for cabins with 240v plug on outside but not seeing what to class them as- 'stationary equipment'? Tried getting size of cable needed but making sure before such a long run gets ordered. Tia
What size cable have you calculated it to be?

Looked in regs book but unsure how to use the calcs, downloaded something, input an estimated load of 60 amps ( my own estimated demand), 170 metre run abd it says 35mm-bad enough wiring 25mm into a normal board

How are you connecting the four cabins, are you going to terminate at a splitter box with 32A sockets mounted on it.

Looked in regs book but unsure how to use the calcs, downloaded something, input an estimated load of 60 amps ( my own estimated demand), 170 metre run abd it says 35mm-bad enough wiring 25mm into a normal board
Alex, going to be blunt, but it's not a personal thing, with you not knowing how to calculate cable sizes, and using what at best can be described as guesswork, to get your cable size you mat require is no going to get you very far, do you think in all honesty you should be undertaking this work?

Yes westward, that was the idea/terminate straight into a small db
A lot of sites use splitter boxes now with 32A sockets fitted to them, terminate your supply here then you can "plug and play" with the cabins using flexible cable. Much easier if they decide to shift the cabins about but you would have to provide additional rcd protection.

Tt system so would do so anyways, 100ma rcd to distribution point then 30ma protected board so we have the option if ever we want to hard wire a circuit in, but just struggling with mains cable size

The cabins are classed as transportable units section 717 BYB

We do a lot of installations like this and use Blakey switch gear as do most big civil/building company's 300ma 100a etc gen set or dno to Blakey mdu 100a 100Ma , most cabins offices etc only need 32 a single phase , where as canteens may need 50a supplies some even 3 phase
We also use battery pods at night for security , save on fuel , emmisions , noise etc
Just a Bit of info for you

We do a lot of installations like this and use Blakey switch gear as do most big civil/building company's 300ma 100a etc gen set or dno to Blakey mdu 100a 100Ma , most cabins offices etc only need 32 a single phase , where as canteens may need 50a supplies some even 3 phase
We also use battery pods at night for security , save on fuel , emmisions , noise etc
IP55 MCB Distribution Boards | Blakley Electrics - http://www.blakley.co.uk/distribution/permanent-distribution-equipment/ip55-mcb-distribution-boards

IP55 MCB Distribution Boards | Blakley Electrics - http://www.blakley.co.uk/distribution/permanent-distribution-equipment/ip55-mcb-distribution-boards

We also hard wire in swa into adaptable box mounted outside cabin back to back with do , done plug and play but sometimes find , inlet and socket filling with water because not got extra weather shield mounted , causing problems
All depends how long site there for if 6 months plus worth hard wiring
Our company looking at going plug and play all the way maybe using type 7 mining type cable which is heavy duty screened but also very flexible , good for coiling up and reusing

Reply to Cabin temporary supplies in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net