Discuss cable ducting without pulling rope installed in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi,

Just wandering what to use to get an armoured through a new duct which has been installed prior to me being on site without a pull rope.
Longest run is about 30 meters with probably 2 bends and is about 3 inch diameter but is the flexible type with ridges.
Will rods go that far and round bends especially with it being the ridged type of duct?
I have seen the continuous rod on a reel that bt etc use, is this my only option to hire one and are they flexible enough etc to go round bends of this size etc?

Thanks

30 meters is pushing your luck especially with corrugated wall ducting. You could try but you'd need to use an end attachment that looks like an egg whisk.

images.jpeg

What you need is a VERY strong vacuum, some light string, a mate to let it out and a load of patience - I've done it, then pulled through a heavier string, before move on to the cable, HOWEVER in your case the bends and length may make it a no,no!

Something that's worked for us on more than one occasion is using two sets of rods, one from each end. On one side you use the egg whisk attachment and on the other you have a hook. The theory being when they meet in the middle the rod from one side hooks onto the rod from the other side.

I have had the same issues before and with several bends , I tried all sorts with no success , I was told about a pump tape and it worked really well , that was back in the 80s on riser renewals in blocks of flats over long distances too..

What you need is a VERY strong vacuum, some light string, a mate to let it out and a load of patience - I've done it, then pulled through a heavier string, before move on to the cable, HOWEVER in your case the bends and length may make it a no,no!

Seen a video on social media lately with a guy using the same method but using an inflated condom as a lead bung tied to the string to fill the duct up for maximum suction.

Maybe a piece of equipment you may not have acces to , but a plastic bag being blown through the duct with a rope attached by an air compressor of some type ,has been known to get some people out of a tricky situation.

We have a ball attachment for our Cobra that would do that easily , I think they do a 6mm version which may help with being that bit more flexible .
Also as suggested a decent road compressor and a carrier bag should do it , but I prefer fishing line instead of string .

Once had a car park lighting duct with rope in but blocked, local labourer fetched his ferret in with a ferret finder and found where duct was blocked in about 10 min.(crushed by rocks compacted by JCB )

Reply to cable ducting without pulling rope installed in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net