Discuss Cable requirement for attached workshop in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

zap

-
Reaction score
The owner has had a 'lean to' build of bricks/blocks and wants a couple of sockets and a light installed.
There is a supply, to the existing detached garage which is due for removal, and I can use its way in the CU for the above.
There are no extraneous conductive parts in the new (permanent) build. The new build is accessible from outside i.e. no access from within the house. Also the CU is adjacent to the new build so easily connected as if in the next room.
The cable, in effect, will not be external at any time as the new build has been keyed into the side of the house at each end and lead flashing fitted along the adjoining wall/roof.

Having not met this scenario before, my preferred method is to run t&e through the wall (at a suitable angle down) to the new build. Fit a double pole isolator and a fcu for the light.
If the new build was detached swa would be my choice. However, ...

My questions are:
Do I have to utilise swa to the new build? or will t&e do?
Does there need to be an isolator in the new build? (or a CU?) Obviously a CU will pump the price up.

Please ask if more information is required.
Thanks for your time.

Thanks Archy,
The owner doesn't want pvc conduit! Clipped direct is his choice.
RCD protection is in place.
I installed their bonding, so that's okay.

Thanks Archy,
The owner doesn't want pvc conduit! Clipped direct is his choice.

I think 20mm conduit is about £1 a length + Vat. For the sake of a fiver I think i'dbe piping it ;)

Your the electrician at the end of the day. Do you think its acceptable to clip direct into switches/sockets? (Because I certainly wouldn't!!)

Rich

I think 20mm conduit is about £1 a length + Vat. For the sake of a fiver I think i'dbe piping it ;)

Your the electrician at the end of the day. Do you think its acceptable to clip direct into switches/sockets? (Because I certainly wouldn't!!)

Rich

Generally if the finished job looks like crap, it normally is Crap!!

nowt wrong with surface T/E and enclose the drops in mini trunking or pvc tube.

nowt wrong with surface T/E and enclose the drops in mini trunking or pvc tube.

Think that's what were saying, although mini trunking looks naff at the best of times. Looks a much better job all round in a nice bit of PVC tubing. It will also provide a degree of mechanical protection into the surface installation too!!

Think that's what were saying, although mini trunking looks naff at the best of times. Looks a much better job all round in a nice bit of PVC tubing. It will also provide a degree of mechanical protection into the surface installation too!!

Have you been out in the sun too much?

although the best way by far, steel conduit is a bit of overkill in uncle joe's domestic garage, though.

Reply to Cable requirement for attached workshop in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net