Discuss Cable size in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

asj968

-
Reaction score
Hi

I have just built a garage at the front of my house and plan to run power to it. The intention is to use it as a workshop working on cars etc. I have a consumer unit at the front of the house and plan to run a cable from there underground to the garage consumer unit. A cable run of approx 25m.

I plan to use standard electrical tools in the garage - nothing drawing large amounts of current but may plug a heater in from time to time. And some fluorescent lights. there will be two electrically operated roler shutter doors that run on a standard 13amp plug each.

What thickness of SWA cable would i need to accomplish this? and would i connect it to an RCBO in the house consumer unit? if so what amperage?

thanks in advance

you need an electrician to do this. under part p of the building regs. the work has to be notified to your local building control.

This work will need testing and a certificate producing as well as reporting to building control. It would be best to consult a local electrician who can help you with this job including the design of the circuits.

Hi

I have just built a garage at the front of my house and plan to run power to it. The intention is to use it as a workshop working on cars etc. I have a consumer unit at the front of the house and plan to run a cable from there underground to the garage consumer unit. A cable run of approx 25m.

I plan to use standard electrical tools in the garage - nothing drawing large amounts of current but may plug a heater in from time to time. And some fluorescent lights. there will be two electrically operated roler shutter doors that run on a standard 13amp plug each.

What thickness of SWA cable would i need to accomplish this? and would i connect it to an RCBO in the house consumer unit? if so what amperage?

thanks in advance
You will need to work out how much loading you are likely to use in your new Garage.
How are you going to run the SWA remember buried cable needs to be installed in a trench that meets with BS 7671.
Is the house Consumers unit a modern one i,e, does it have two RCDs or just the one?
What type of consumers unit do you intend fitting in the Garage?
Are you intending to doe the Electrical work yourself.
Far to many imponderables. to give you an answer, you would be far better off getting an Electrician in to do this work, as it will need testing, certification and LABC will need to be notified.

Cheers Pete, that'll be my word of the month for March
Had to dig deep to find out what it meant and how to spell it, god old spell check

Sounds like a film title: The Imponderables. Whatever will they ponder next
Must stop reading that new book my Wife bought me, the plot is Carp it's called Dictionary.

Thanks

The garage wasn't built under planning / building control regs as it is an oak framed structure less than 4m height.

Do the same regs apply if you were running power out to a shed in the garden? It concerns me asking building control in case i have done anything that upsets them in the build which i don't think i have.

Do the same regs apply if you were running power out to a shed in the garden? It concerns me asking building control in case i have done anything that upsets them in the build which i don't think i have.

Regardless of the other regs associated with structures, Part P applies to the electrical side, which states which electrical work must involve LABC. Because you are running a new distribution circuit to the outbuilding, this is notifiable works.

The electrician will notify BC on your behalf, they are not going to come out themselves.

Must stop reading that new book my Wife bought me, the plot is Carp it's called Dictionary.
Carp? is that a book on fishing?

you can say crap , fart and arse. they're all in the COD, so swear filter can't **** them.

I did not know that! Now everyone knows and it'll sound like a school trip on the forum! Well done Tel!
you can say crap , fart and arse. they're all in the COD, so swear filter can't **** them.

I did not know that! Now everyone knows and it'll sound like a school trip on the forum! Well done Tel!
Yep well done Tel you clever Old Fart.

Reply to Cable size in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net