Discuss cable sizes in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

remember voltage is 400V so can expect to get considerably more power and 3x that because there are 3 phases :)

You would also see if Vd was ok using Vd = Ib x Length x mV/A/M (value found from table 6D2) it turn out ok - well less than 5%

These lecturers always keep the really tough questions til last means they won'tbe stuck withnothing to do at the end of the lesson ;)

hope i've been some help and not made some stupid mistake somewhere.

Think your all wrong here . 50kw is 217.39 amps split over 3 phases , 72.46amps per phase. its oven resistive load. nearest breaker 80amp triple pole . instaled in trunking ref meth 4 , 3or more cables . requires 35 mm cables. rating 89amps. from quick look . night all. Michelle.

Think your all wrong here . 50kw is 217.39 amps split over 3 phases , 72.46amps per phase. its oven resistive load. nearest breaker 80amp triple pole . instaled in trunking ref meth 4 , 3or more cables . requires 35 mm cables. rating 89amps. from quick look . night all. Michelle.

I wouldn't bet my life on me :D but your 217A figure comes from using 230 volts! It is 3 phase so you should use 400V and root 3

so how would the lay out work? i take it its just ran out the CU

you have been a great help thank you very much

probs to an isolator then to the motor - remember there is an mcb for each phase and if it is a motor they won't be type Bs

you still not seeing that button lol

brain in gear (just)

50x1000 50000
1.73x400 692 = 72.25a ( no correction factors taken into account)

correct and then share between 3 phases.

Edit: on reflection think your 72A is Il (line current) as the formula is for total power! so factors and mcbs should be done on that figure oops!

Last edited by a moderator:
cheers mate

Hey - you found that button :D

Edit ; when you have time have a read of the OSG chapter 6 and Scadden is a brill book for the theory - believe there is a new edition out now as well - well worth buying to get you thru your exams.

just logged on to the office pc and computer says---

50kw - 90.32 amps length 50m voltage drop 11.29a type d mcb didnt allow for correction factors

Good Night

calculate the desing current w/1.732 x 400 and that will supply current per phase (is what i should of said) unless there is a pf involved

Reply to cable sizes in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net