Discuss Cables In Parallel, Max Load? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

bogney

-
Reaction score
Hi

Just wondering if someone could help me out with this one

Basically I'd like to know what's the maximum load (single phase) a 4 core 6mm SWA could deliver if cores were connected in parallel

SWA in buried under ground and the length is three hundred meters

The cable used to supply a 3 phase pump on a farm many years ago. The farmer would like to renovate pump house, and yep you guess it, want power down there.

Used a cat scanner to find and determine length.

Any help would on this would be much appreciated

Best regards

Dave

You need to ensure the safety of the two cables, in general the regs advise adding the CCC of each core.
In practise the CCC may be slightly greater but this is not accounted for in the wiring regulations.
Have a look at 433.4 and 434.4.

Were you thinking of just using the armour as the earth? Or is it TT at the far end?
Don't know what your calcs say but the steel isn't as good as copper, especially over 300metres.

Were you thinking of just using the armour as the earth? Or is it TT at the far end?
Don't know what your calcs say but the steel isn't as good as copper, especially over 300metres.
It's a farm it probably doesn't have any earthing system.

Only problem is I know he wants to extend off the supply again at a later date to provide power for 4 caravans!!

Main issue is going to be volt drop

Your average caravan hook up is 16A, but you could make a practical view on max demand being a lot less than 4x16A.
Could limit the hookup supply to 10A, maybe?

I have told him my concerns, when its cold the heaters go on and the kettle goes on and so on...
I'll tell him the pump house is the limit.

He'll tell you white is black, when you tell him it's white he doesn't really give a .........

Shoot me down if I am barking up the wrong tree, I get conductors in parallel but what columns in Table 4D4A or 4E4A are you using to determine the current carrying capacity of the cable. Column 6 refers to a single phase load in a 2 core cable, however you have a single phase load in a 4 core cable so does this equate to Column 7 which is a 3 or 4 core cable on a three phase load. My view is Column 7 due to the quantity of conductor and not the fact it is single or three phase.

Your CCC would be 92A and your pump house perhaps a maximum of 50A so that would leave you 40A to divide among the caravans.
However your volt drop will be well beyond limits at that loading, especially as you want to extend further for the caravans.
I have just checked and I think you would need to keep your current below about 6A to keep within 6.9V (3%) drop over 300m with a 12mm² cable!.:):rowboat:

Your CCC would be 92A and your pump house perhaps a maximum of 50A so that would leave you 40A to divide among the caravans.
However your volt drop will be well beyond limits at that loading, especially as you want to extend further for the caravans.
I have just checked and I think you would need to keep your current below about 6A to keep within 6.9V (3%) drop over 300m with a 12mm² cable!.:):rowboat:
I assume you are doubling Column 6 from Table 4D4A to get 92A, problem is it ain't a 2 core cable?

Reply to Cables In Parallel, Max Load? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock