Discuss calculating Zs at socket outlets in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

V

voltage

Hi all

After some advice on measuring Zs at socket outlets using the megger 1553 what setting should the megger be on for this test ? i no i have to use the plug in plug i got with my megger just not sure what setting the megger has to be on ?

I no how to calculate Zs by calculation using Zs = Ze + ( R1 + R2 ) for radial circuits

But i would like to know how to measure it at socket outlets.

Any advice or help would be appreciated many thanks volt.

I believe that that meggar as 2 options the no trip and the normal EFLI test.

If your socket is RCD protected then you would use the no trip setting on the instrument.

If the socket is not RCD protected then the normal EFLI setting, or I think Hi on the megger, would be used.

plug in. set to hi or no trip. switch on socket. megger shows voltage then----------- then make yourself a brew while the megger clicks and farts and eventually comes up with a reading

plug in. set to hi or no trip. switch on socket. megger shows voltage then----------- then make yourself a brew while the megger clicks and farts and eventually comes up with a reading

And if it's a 'no-trip' reading, try it again for a different reading!

Make sure there are no loads on the circuit being tested, any 'noise' and the readings on 'no trip' become quite sporadic.

^ hehehe thanks :)

Hi all

After some advice on measuring Zs at socket outlets using the megger 1553 what setting should the megger be on for this test ? i no i have to use the plug in plug i got with my megger just not sure what setting the megger has to be on ?

I no how to calculate Zs by calculation using Zs = Ze + ( R1 + R2 ) for radial circuits

But i would like to know how to measure it at socket outlets.

Any advice or help would be appreciated many thanks volt.

Hello voltage

Where there is an RCD/RCBO protecting a final circuit then a no trip 3 wire test should be performed to obtain the Zs value.
For unprotected circuits a hi loop test with 2 testleads should used.
In the case of acquiring a Zs on a power circuit with standard sockets then the mains plug lead will be utitilised using either no trip or hi loop depending once again on circuit protection.

Regards

Megger TSG

Hello voltage

Where there is an RCD/RCBO protecting a final circuit then a no trip 3 wire test should be performed to obtain the Zs value.
For unprotected circuits a hi loop test with 2 testleads should used.
In the case of acquiring a Zs on a power circuit with standard sockets then the mains plug lead will be utitilised using either no trip or hi loop depending once again on circuit protection.

Regards

Megger TSG

Thank you

and have a good stock of AA alkalines. meggers eat batteries. you should have noticed when you switch on the megger, it shows the battery volts. if below 10v, replace.

You Zs should also be taken from the socket/accessory furthest away on the circuit.

Last edited by a moderator:
yes, it should. the op is learning how to use the tester, not actually testing installations as yet.

Reply to calculating Zs at socket outlets in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock