Discuss Calling all self employed! Wholesaler related in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Evening you lot

Just wondering what the current idea is with different wholesalers- who's expensive, who's got the stock etc. Been subbing to a company for a while now who use CEF but their prices seem very steep... although I understand it depends how much you're buying from them?

Also how does the whole credit agreement work... I've always just paid there and then with customers upfront cash, heard too many horror stories of customers not paying up at the end of the job then the spark ending up with ££££'s to pay at the end of the month.

How do you guys operate? Thanks in advance

I tend to use TLC or superlecdirect as they will deliver next day and it's free for orders over say £50ish and then use our local wholesalers for the odd bits I need there and then. This works well if you keep a bit of stock and order for the jobs in advance.

Hi Wes

I'd never heard of TLC before- then realised theres very few around my area seems mostly london way. Doesn't matter if you're getting it delivered anyway i suppose. only trouble is if it arrives and it isn't suitable o_O
Yeah definitely agree with keeping stock on van- absolute life saver!

Cheers for the response

I use one local wholesaler for 90% of my stock requirements. I have tried others but these ones care about keeping my business and getting me the best prices they can. The bigger chains seem to care about the bigger accounts and the sole traders can go whistle.

I use a credit account with them but never let the amount on my account go beyond the means of my working capital, that is just common sense though. Most places will operate a 60 day account to give you leeway to get money in from jobs. With decent financial planing you can avoid any unpleasant situations regarding bills.

Very valuable info there Andy thanks for your input, didn't realise it was 60 days thought it was 30! Although haven't looked too much into it. I get the same impression from these chains too, don't think we're worth their time :D

Very valuable info there Andy thanks for your input, didn't realise it was 60 days thought it was 30! Although haven't looked too much into it. I get the same impression from these chains too, don't think we're worth their time :D

Account terms need to be discussed with your wholesaler, please don't take my word for it about what terms they offer as that is something I don't know for fact.

Wholesaler accounts can really help your cash flow, which is especially useful in the early days.

Be aware that some will give prompt payment discounts and don't be afraid to question invoices if you feel you have been overcharged.

I use 3 local suppliers for about 99% off my kit... Loyalty brings favors when they know you and want you to come back. If you don't have any locality don't be surprised if they won't help you out.

Some people seem to drive around to save 50 p, but it's simply not worth it.... Imho

I use Yesss these days and they're brilliant, on the phone to them loads and in most days as well, get on with them all, I price check stuff online and get back to them if it's too expensive, had a quote for storage heaters last week, was 20% more than I could get them online, phoned up and they got to work managed to get it down to £10 more than online, which suits me as I don't mind paying extra for the ease and service.

Suppose it's all about finding local suppliers and building up decent relationships with them... I like the idea of a smaller wholesaler who is willing to go the extra mile and provide flexibility than big chains who are only interested in one thing

Suppose it's all about finding local suppliers and building up decent relationships with them... I like the idea of a smaller wholesaler who is willing to go the extra mile and provide flexibility than big chains who are only interested in one thing

It can work the other way though. Bigger chains have more buying power and access to better brands. I'm not saying large chains are to be avoided, just make sure you are getting the brands you want at the prices you want. The ability to get stock in quickly is also a factor to consider.

A lot of it is to do with the staff behind the counter and the person in charge. There's a wholesalers near me that have a bunch of kids behind the counter and the manager is a prat....I wont even entertain the place as they never ring back or get anything in on time as all they are interested in is getting to the end of the day and when they can take their next smoke break! The two wholesalers I mainly use are nationals but every one who works there generally want to help you out and will go the extra mile for you when needed.

Thanks all for your replies, quite a few things to consider. Looks like I'm gonna have to have a little mooch about at some point see what's what in Gloucester!

Be careful, the most common 60day deal is actually a 31 day deal but 60 is possible depending when you get your gear, most wholesalers will do there accounts at the end of the month so if you purchase something at the end of the month it will be up for payment by the end of the next month as its put through accounts almost immediately, whenever you get you gear at the beginning of a month it isn't put through until the end of the month then you have the next full month to pay so in essence 2 months nearly.

Reply to Calling all self employed! Wholesaler related in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net