Discuss Can FP 200 be burried in the wall without RCD??? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

W

wetny

Hi. We are looking to quote to install domestic heat detectors interconnected to the existing smoke alarms for a social housing provider. Do you think that FP200 could be used to save us installing RCD protection to the circuit as the cable needs to be concealed. Our NIC inspector tells me that t and e can't be used through the ceiling void because you can't guarantee that it's at a depth of 50mm, so FP would seem to be the way forward. I am aware the the cable is fully screened but only by a foil wrap. Cheers.

It's not a matter of mechanical protection, more earthed metallic sheath. Without lifting floorboard, carpets and moving furniture, cable can not be clipped. We are talking about 5000 properties, if it was just a few would not be an issue.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's not a matter of mechanical protection, more earthed metallic sheath. Without lifting floorboard, carpets and moving furniture, cable can not be clipped. We are talking about 5000 properties, if it was just a few would not be an issue.

But the 'earthed metalic sheath' that they are referring to in the regs, (in order to not need RCD protection), is for mechanical protection.

FP200 sheath does not offer this.

SWA, yes. Steel conduit, yes. Earthed steel plate, yes. But not FP200.:)

I would have thought that the purpose of earthed metallic sheath was to provide automatic dis connection rather than mechanical protection.

and how would you earth the foil? sy would be better.

I would have thought that the purpose of earthed metallic sheath was to provide automatic dis connection rather than mechanical protection.

You might actually be right with regards to the requirements of that regulation - I've always took it as 'earthed mechanical protection' that was required - I've never thought of it from the point that you're making, but I've just re-read it.:)

So the question, as you were asking, is 'does FP200 fit the bill?

I had a similar issue with interconnecting alarms and concluded with the use of radio linked alarms. I was initially concerned about compliance, however the manufacturers verified it's compliance with Part B 1.21.

The only issue was location, however positions were acceptable in close proximity to lighting points, and the rigidity of the fp200 enabled a 50mm clearance from point to point.

Mr NIC man and Mr Building Inspector were both happy.

Reply to Can FP 200 be burried in the wall without RCD??? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net