Discuss Can I do Domestic periodics???? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

Mitch6278

Hi guys just looking for some practical information as I have had mixed answers...
i work in commercial and industrial buildings and so domestic dwellings are something I don't really touch. However I have recently passed my 2395 exam and a friend who owns property has asked if I can now test his rental properties.
Having enquired at the college where I did the course they said (or the tutor at least) that all I need is indemnity insurance and off I go.
Any one know anything else I need to do?
Thanks

Any competent person, qualified or not can inspect and test any installation.
Obviously it would help if that person has experience of the type of installation being inspected and tested.
Professional Indemnity is advantageous, though there is no statutory requirement for such.

Public liability insurance and a sound knowledge of the type of installations you plan to Carry out the EICR's on plus they aren't called periodics any more.

Just to nitpick, the practise is still called periodic inspection and testing, but the form you fill out is called an electrical installation condition report.

When do I get my weekly pedant's award ?

To the OP, read section 3.8.1 in GN3 which gives requirements of the inspector. Not only technical expertise and qualification, but also detailed knowledge and experience of older installations is required in order to carry out the reporting with accuracy.

Public liability insurance for sure, professional indemnity insurance is also a good idea.

EDIT: Gah pedant award to Skelton instead.

Either way the correct term is now electrical installation condition report and not periodic inspection report.

After inspections, tests, sampling, etc a report is produced.

Read my post again, you are conflating two issues.

Prior to the green book, we carried out periodic inspection and testing and then issued a periodic inspection report.

Now we carry out periodic inspection and testing all the same, but we now issue electrical installation condition reports.

We do not carry out EICRs, we issue them.

Read my post again, you are conflating two issues.

Prior to the green book, we carried out periodic inspection and testing and then issued a periodic inspection report.

Now we carry out periodic inspection and testing all the same, but we now issue electrical installation condition reports.

We do not carry out EICRs, we issue them.

god shoot me now lol

Reply to Can I do Domestic periodics???? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net