Discuss Can I put these two cables together? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi, got a cctv and a flood light power cable outside which I want to put in a conduit pipe. Can I put both cables inside the same conduit or they have to be separated to avoid interferance with the cctv camera? Many thanks

Are we talking RG59 here? Or are we talking about a mains cable for a camera that'll be plugged into a socket? If it's the first, then yes segregation is required. The latter, nah.

Hi one of cables is an ordinary power cable going to a flood light next to the cctv camera and the cctv cable looks to me like a coaxial for the picture, sorry not sure what names they have. I simply want to avoid using 2 pipes/conduits if i can as long as it doesnt cause any problems to the cctv picture from electrical interference

as hightower stated. it's not just the possibility of interference. the coax will not be rated for mains voltage, so it's a no no as regards compliance with regs., but for a short run through a wall, as long as there's a bit of space in the conduit, i can't see it being a disaster.

Hi - Often the coax is outdoor rated so it could be run tacked next to the existing conduit. Just a thought.
Interference can be tricky and depends many factors, the quality of cable, length of run, installation practice, camera susceptibility etc. I would do a little test with the camera and cables at ground level perhaps.

Agree with Wilko - the quality of cable is the biggest factor as regards interference. Cheap crap cox doesn't even have 100% screening coverage, whereas good quality (decent brand CT100, etc.) stuff has a full screen and will usually keep out most interference. Daz

Reply to Can I put these two cables together? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net