Discuss Can I use a 12V DC LED bulb to replace a 12V AC filament bulb? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

mascip

Hi, I'm interested in this lamp which has a 12V AC filament bulb. It sits in a MR16 fitting, so I was thinking: If I power it with 12V DC instead of 12V AC, and replace the light bulb by a 12V DC LED bulb, it should work.

Would it work? Would it be safe?

Hi, I'm interested in this lamp which has a 12V AC filament bulb. It sits in a MR16 fitting, so I was thinking: If I power it with 12V DC instead of 12V AC, and replace the light bulb by a 12V DC LED bulb, it should work.

Would it work? YES.Would it be safe? YES

HOW ARE YOU INTENDING TO GET 12v D.C. ?

I have 12V DC because I live on a boat and use 12V DC batteries

I have 12V DC because I live on a boat and use 12V DC batteries
it wiill be OK on 12V battery supply. just fuse the supply accordingly. a 1A fuse should do. make sure to get the polarity the right way round. LEDs are typil
cally around 5watts, which equates to 0.4A.

Last edited:
Thinking out loud:

if there was a switch, then it might not work, because AC switches are not always rated for DC voltage (because of arcing). But there doesn't seem to be any switch on this lamp.

Anything else that might go wrong because of the difference between AC and DC?

What about the MR16 fitting? Are they AC or DC rated? I'm thinking about arcing when you remove a bulb, perhaps? It might be a silly question, but I better ask.

overthinking. use a switch from a car accessory shop. anything rated 5A d.c. or above. remove bulb with power off.

It's for a client's boat, not mine, so I don't want to get it wrong.

And if I overthink it once I won't need to ever think it again ;)

12V battery, 1.5mm cable, fused @1A into a 5A d.c. rated switch, into fitting, job done.

you're welcome. ( thanks button is on bottom left of post. :troll:

Reply to Can I use a 12V DC LED bulb to replace a 12V AC filament bulb? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net