Discuss Can Wiring to Wall Socket be Laid Horizontally Along Wall at Near Floor Level? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

@jamchi As I suspected, you are able to quote BS7671 regulations without properly understanding what is meant by them.
By quoting that regulation you introduced the concept of "mechanically protected" without making it clear what that means.

The aluminium channel that you have linked to (post #21) does not constitute mechanical protection. Any half decent DIYer can drill through that or drive a nail into without any effort whatsoever. It does not meet the requirements of BS EN 61386-21 or BS EN 50085-2-1.
I suggest you read and understand regulation 522.6 about impact before submiting any more information that might confuse an unsuspecting DIYer.

@Novice12 He is correct though about protecting the cable. As that section of wall will be visible, your best solution is for the cable to be re-run as shown in purple in the helpful (thank you) diagram in Jamchi's post #11.
That puts the cable running horizontally from the socket, where it should be.

If you leave it where it is, it would have to be run in earthed steel conduit, or be run in something like steel wire armoured cable.
Neither of those being easy solutions for you?

@

If you leave it where it is, it would have to be run in earthed steel conduit, or be run in something like steel wire armoured cable.

You sound just like my solicitor. I suspect that horizontal bit will be about 150mm long, after the floor unit's been installed. Of course rules are rules. If I was the house owner I wouldn't bother, unless the sparks has been doing the same all over the house.

PS all the rest of his/her work is questionable or substandard

I have re-read the regulation and realize the mistake I made by posting the metallic capping.

Apologies @Novice12 if I have misled you in any way.

Thankyou @Taylortwocities for correcting me, thankfully I have never got into this situation in the first place, but if I ever do, I know I need to use earthed conduit compliant with BS EN 61386-21.

@jamchi As I suspected, you are able to quote BS7671 regulations without properly understanding what is meant by them.
By quoting that regulation you introduced the concept of "mechanically protected" without making it clear what that means.
QUOTE]
I did mention the capping thing in my #20. My riposte was more subtle, don't you think? :rolleyes:

Either way, round my parts (oo-er) if you leave that bag of sheet like that laid on the floor slab the mice will just chew threw them. Called out to exactly that problem recently where Brian the bodger had rewired the kitchen a year ago and the mice then had an early supper. What happened to personal pride with ones workmanship?

@
Neither of those being easy solutions for you?

Flippin posting thing;

This is what I said: I did mention the capping thing in my #20. My riposte was more subtle, don't you think? :rolleyes:

Either way, round my parts (oo-er) if you leave that bag of sheet like that laid on the floor slab the mice will just chew threw them. Called out to exactly that problem recently where Brian the bodger had rewired the kitchen a year ago and the mice then had an early supper. What happened to personal pride with ones workmanship?
Suggest you sort out your rodent problem then!

I used steel capping a number of times but I always wonder how good it actually is at prevent a nail/screw, let’s be honest they are very thin
The plastic stuff aint much use either.

I used steel capping a number of times but I always wonder how good it actually is at prevent a nail/screw, let’s be honest they are very thin

It will not prevent a nail or screw from penetrating, this is how it is normally installed is it not? Capping is not classed as mechanical protection, it is simply to protect the cables from the plasterers trowel!

Jay

As I highlighted, that stuff is the equivalent of the plastic stuff. Only useable inside recognised wiring zones, e.g. Fending off the plasterers trowel. does not meet the requirements for cable protection for impact.

Edit: Jay, snap!!

Capping does not provide mechanical protection...
plus I doubt a skirting board will be fitted behind a kitchen unit...
like some of the sparks have advised have it chased in or place it in trunking to give it protection in areas especially were you will be placing the washing machine and dishwasher...

Reply to Can Wiring to Wall Socket be Laid Horizontally Along Wall at Near Floor Level? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock