Discuss Can you just tidy my panel up a bit!!!! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Got asked if I could just tidy up a customers panel up a bit, he said his previous guy used to be able to get the Machine running all the time but wasn't the tidiest of guys.

within 2 minutes of looking at this mess I had cost the customer quite a lot of money.

The isolator you see does not work, so the isolator get switched on with a spanner or grips then the door is closed
All the terminals are exposed to touch, due to above line, so obviously can't be isolated before opening the door
terminal covers missing anyway as you can see
wires just thrown from one contactor to another, without taking it through the trunking
Loads of Ip issues due to holes all over the panel
Plus many many more issues

20140912_100808.jpg20140912_100748.jpg20140912_100818.jpg20140912_100826.jpg

Seen a few like that over the years, usually no drawings either.

Cropper01.JPG

The machine will be down quite a while sorting that out, is it worth building a new panel and swapping in a few hours?, I've done it a couple of times as it's cheaper from a production loss view.

Seen a few like that over the years, usually no drawings either.

View attachment 26251

The machine will be down quite a while sorting that out, is it worth building a new panel and swapping in a few hours?, I've done it a couple of times as it's cheaper from a production loss view.
The problem is there are at least another 7 in the same state some are even worse, they are a customer of so I have inherited these little beauties. I think it is going to become a very long project for me.

Also Rob what Annoys me, is it is not hard to do it right the 1st time around correctly.

well, you've done the 3 day course. it's just like wiring a plug, only a few more wires. oh, i forgot, you got the plug wiring wrong, walnut!

And the plugtop came with a diagram and I still got it wrong.
No drawings with the Panels argghh

Also Rob what Annoys me, is it is not hard to do it right the 1st time around correctly.

It probably was, but then the drawings got lost and the next sparky has to pull out the cables to trace them, doesn't have time to put them back as he's needed on another job 10 minutes ago.
It's a downward spiral then :sad3:

red to red, yellow to yellow, blue to bits.

Cheers Dad, I know I am safe with you sitting on my shoulder like a guardian angel.

Most of the companies I've worked for had the panels professionally built complete with drawings, some even provide a back-up on CD so you can reprint any lost/damaged pages or I've designed and built them myself, although the drawings weren't up to much as I struggled to use Eplan!.

One company I worked for had a habit of buying used machines usually with no drawings and countless mods ending in a "rats nest" panel, I left after 3 months.

GMES you have not got time to be on here best you get that lot sorted before lunch and get on with the other 7....work late until 6pm and the client expects all done and tucked up before you go.

Diddy they are a regular customer of mine now and are spending a lot of money with me on Installation work and Improvement projects.
The panel are just the latest project that they have added to my long list of work.
@Robostar that is exactly it they have bought several machines over the years and quite a few have come from Germany so a lot of the legends/labels buttons etc are all in German, just to add to the challenge.

Diddy they are a regular customer of mine now and are spending a lot of money with me on Installation work and Improvement projects.
The panel are just the latest project that they have added to my long list of work.
@Robostar that is exactly it they have bought several machines over the years and quite a few have come from Germany so a lot of the legends/labels buttons etc are all in German, just to add to the challenge.

Das ist das Problem mit euch jungen Burschen - Sie habe zu glauben, dass alles einfach sein gebracht! :)

Alle loben unser Führer Dan!!!

Build a new panel and swap it for one. Then repair that nackered panel and swap it for 2, lather rinse repeat as necessary until it's safe, submit your invoice and go and spunk it all in the boozer.

Reply to Can you just tidy my panel up a bit!!!! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net