Discuss Can you tell the Kilowatt wiring capability from just looking at the CU? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

cable_guy

-
DIY
Reaction score
Hi all,

please allow me to prefix this post that I am not an electrician. I come here only for advice in advance of getting a professional to do the work on my behalf.

I currently have a gas oven and wish to replace it with an electric one. I want to understand if the electric supplied to my current oven is sufficient for an electric oven, and the only thing I have to go on (as a non-techy) is the switch which is a "seperate" (big fat red) switch for the oven on the wall, and the CU which has the following (far left).

http://i.Upload the image directly to the thread.com/PGVSRUk.jpg

Is this evidence enough to prove the capability of the wiring? or would I need to get a sparky out to check the thickness of the wire/something else please?

thanks in advance.

If you have a gas hob then what you have already should be more that enough to supply your electric oven , as long as the cooker supply was wired correctly in the first place it will be quite easy for a spark to connect the oven up for you .

hi mate. i'm down your way one day this week, prob. tuesday. can pop in and have a look if you want.

experienced electricians can tell the capacity of a wire by just looking at the size of the wire.
So yes you can tell the kw of a wire by looking at it
but with a 32A breaker I would guess it is 4mm cable.

More likely to be 6mm on a 32A breaker, i.e. a standard cooker circuit, but I wouldn't hazard a guess as there is no way of knowing without seeing it (obviously).

Based on the size of the circuit breaker at 32A then yes if all is correct the cooker outlet should easily deliver 13A
However that assumes the wire used to connect from the circuit breaker to the cooker outlet is correctly installed and the appropriate thickness (4mm 6mm etc as the cross sectional area of the copper cores not the thickness of the cable externally)
So to be sure and safe an electricians eye is needed.

Reply to Can you tell the Kilowatt wiring capability from just looking at the CU? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net