Discuss Can't find any cheap G4 LEDs that run off the mains 240v. in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

B

bfam

Hi everyone

We have a couple of NEXT ceiling lights in the living and dining room. Both the transformers have gone and replacement transformers are about £35 each, however I'm worried they may keep blowing and its going to get costly to replace them often. A friend suggested removing the transformers and connecting the ceiling lights direct to the mains. The problem is I cant find any G4 LEDs that are well price and run off the mains 240v direct , any help will be greatly appreciated.

Each light has 15 bulbs, so need 30 in total, hence price is a key factor.

Thank you for taking the time to read this post.

It might be more cost effective to find a replacement fitting instead. Are the transformers in the loft?

I've see 230v G4 lamps some time back but they were filament type. Up until then I also thought G4 was a 12V only fitting but learned the hard way :( . Not generally available and best avoided.

Not sure if I could replace he
The G4 connection is only designed for 12V, if you want to use 230V then you would have to change the lampholder to G9 and ensure the fitting was safe to use with 230V.

Oh that's a shame because I don't think it is possible to change the lamp holder with these lights?

Can't find any cheap G4 LEDs that run off the mains 240v. 20170517_093108 - EletriciansForums.net

Can't find any cheap G4 LEDs that run off the mains 240v. 20170517_093205 - EletriciansForums.net

What ever you do don't change the g4's for led g4's. I did it once on a customers 4 wall lights. All 4 transformers blew after 2 days use.

I felt a right berk.

Needless to say I bought and fitted new for the customer who was quite happy because she didn't like the old lights any way.

have you checked to see if fuse has not blown when G4 lamp blown ? I don't know what the light output of a G4 LED lamp is as if it is acceptable you maybe able to change the transformer to a LED driver just an idea.

Bfam, my sister in law had the same problem with transformer failure in a very similar light fitting. There is a known issue with the transformers/heat build up in those fittings, assuming it is the type of transformer with a hole in the middle (which it looks to be). I initially replaced the transformer but that failed too.
I fixed the problem by changing the transformer for a LED driver and getting suitable LED G4s. It has been fine for well over a year now.
Be aware of the size within the light fitting when ordering any replacement parts. I recall there being a threaded rod sucking up in the middle.

What ever you do don't change the g4's for led g4's. I did it once on a customers 4 wall lights. All 4 transformers blew after 2 days use.

I felt a right berk.

Needless to say I bought and fitted new for the customer who was quite happy because she didn't like the old lights any way.

LEDs require a DC supply, transformers output AC.

Reply to Can't find any cheap G4 LEDs that run off the mains 240v. in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock