Discuss cant find what im looking for! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Ihave a job to move a cu. The plan/easiest option is to extend the tails already in henly blocks up into the attic (its a bungalow) across and back down. Works out to be 7m run. can anyone point me in the right direction in the big yellow book where i can find the relevant information on max length and methods of protection.
thanks in advance.
Danny

Recommended max length is 3m. It's not in BS 7671 as it's specified by the DNO. I think that's the generally accepted limit, but you could always have a conversation with the DNO for the area and get their view on it.

A suitably rated switch fuse at the origin should suffice (100A switch fuse with an appropriate fuse), and of course suitably rated tails.

Although a better solution instead of tails might be a run of appropriately sized SWA from the switch fuse, depending of course on the installation methods.

Ihave a job to move a cu. The plan/easiest option is to extend the tails already in henly blocks up into the attic (its a bungalow) across and back down. Works out to be 7m run. can anyone point me in the right direction in the big yellow book where i can find the relevant information on max length and methods of protection.
thanks in advance.
Danny
If you do use tails I would make sure that they are in some kind of containment including in the loft.

Agree with Dave 16mm swa on a 80 amp switch fuse should be ample depending on your maximum demand .
Swa should have the armour bonded to earth and if possible can be buried in the wall.

You don't want to rcd the tails as if the rcd trips you'll lose all the power to the house.
As long as you don't chisel them into the wall your fine.
TT is a different story tho
no its tncs
So stay away from 25mm SWA then, use a different size. It must be one hell of a big bungalow to need a submain that big!
Who mentioned sub main? Its the main board woth a total load of 70 amps

no its tncs

Who mentioned sub main? Its the main board woth a total load of 70 amps
If your extending the tails and going into a switch fuse ( don't know if you are or not) then the extended tails/swa via the switch fuse would now become a sub main to your consumer unit

Reply to cant find what im looking for! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net