Discuss Carbon Monoxide Alarm in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

leep82

-
Arms
Reaction score
Currently pricing a rewire for a two bed terraced house and just wondered on people thoughts on fire detection. I am going to install mains powered with battery back up and was thinking of :-

1 x heat detector in kitchen
1 x smoke detector in living room
1 x smoke detector on landing

Should i include a carbon monoxide detector as there is a combi boiler in the kitchen. Already spoke to a couple of people for there advice and both have said that wherever there is a fuel burning device ( boiler, log burner etc ) they should be fitted.

Currently pricing a rewire for a two bed terraced house and just wondered on people thoughts on fire detection. I am going to install mains powered with battery back up and was thinking of :-

1 x heat detector in kitchen
1 x smoke detector in living room
1 x smoke detector on landing

Should i include a carbon monoxide detector as there is a combi boiler in the kitchen. Already spoke to a couple of people for there advice and both have said that wherever there is a fuel burning device ( boiler, log burner etc ) they should be fitted.
Are you sure about the heat detector in the Kitchen?

As a minimum smoke in hall and landing and a heat in the kitchen. If you install a carbon monoxide alarm you want it to make a different noise so you can distinguish between carbon monoxide and fire.

Just been doing some research on mixing CO and smokes on the same interlink. It's a no go if the alarms do not make a different sound throughout the system to differentiate what type of event it is.
I think Kidde firex offer this multi-tone solution.
A solution with Aico is to fit a control switch which hushes all alarms when pressed except the triggered head. These switches are available wired or wireless.
Another solution is to have the CO as battery only.

Is the kitchen separated from the stairs or landing/hall (circulation area) by a door? If not, there must be a heat alarm in the kitchen. However, I always fit them regardless.

Just been doing some research on mixing CO and smokes on the same interlink. It's a no go if the alarms do not make a different sound throughout the system to differentiate what type of event it is.
A solution with Aico is to fit a control switch which hushes all alarms when pressed except the triggered head. These switches are available wired or wireless.
The system in my house uses Kidde Firex (older ones), the CO alarm is on the same circuit but not interlinked. The reason I didn't interlink at the time was (I think) it operated at a different signal voltage to the smokes and wasn't compatible? My memory is a bit sketchy though.

I have looked into this before and wondered why carbon monoxide and smoke detectors could not be on the same interlink. Am i right in thinking that depending
on what alarm has been activated different action should be taken. Im sure i read that in the event of a carbon monoxide alarm activating then you would open doors, windows etc to ventilate the area whereas if it were a smoke alarm that had been activated you would want to keep doors and windows closed? What other reasons can they not share an interlink for?

I have looked into this before and wondered why carbon monoxide and smoke detectors could not be on the same interlink. Am i right in thinking that depending
on what alarm has been activated different action should be taken. Im sure i read that in the event of a carbon monoxide alarm activating then you would open doors, windows etc to ventilate the area whereas if it were a smoke alarm that had been activated you would want to keep doors and windows closed? What other reasons can they not share an interlink for?

Yes exactly that. The alarm should distinguish which event has taken place so that appropriate action can be taken.

If all heads make the same sound no matter what the event this is not suitable.
If CO and smoke make different sounds, but they only make their individual sound no matter what event this is not suitable.

Yes exactly that. The alarm should distinguish which event has taken place so that appropriate action can be taken.

If all heads make the same sound no matter what the event this is not suitable.
If CO and smoke make different sounds, but they only make their individual sound no matter what event this is not suitable.
But surely the first action you should take would be to get out of the property? It wouldnt matter which alarm had gone off if you were not inside

But surely the first action you should take would be to get out of the property? It wouldnt matter which alarm had gone off if you were not inside

Now you're talking about common sense. I thought you were talking about regulations and liability of the installer. Those are very different things.

Now you're talking about common sense. I thought you were talking about regulations and liability of the installer. Those are very different things.
Ha ha of course. Back to the OP though does the situation ive described need a carbon monoxide detector? The kitchen is very small and fitting two devices on the ceiling isnt going to look very attractive.

I fitted a carbon monoxide alarm in my house, interlinked with smokes, some years ago. The cmd has a small digital screen, and indicates 'Fire' if it is one of the smokes that have activated. They are nearing replacement.

Alternatively, as Andy suggested use a remote control switch. If the customer doesn't want two devices on the ceiling in the kitchen, a small cmd battery operated one could be installed separately, somewhere adjacent to the boiler.

Edit; why not ask Aico, one of the forum sponsors?

Last edited:
In Scotland for private let accommodation you must have, by law, a smoke in livingroom, hall up and downstairs (if applicable) and a heat in the kitchen. Mains operated and inter linked.

As for carbon monoxide alarm, this can be battery operated as long as it's a sealed unit with a 7 year life span.

yes i dont see why not, wouldnt want any false alarms from burnt toast etc. If im wrong please point me in the right direction
Hi Mate my reason was if your Kitchen is anything like mine, it gets hot really hot, your not wrong just my personal thoughts

Afaik we must have CO alarm where there is a log burner, fuel stove etc, and recommended for each location with a gas burner.

i'd fit interlinked smoke and heat alarms as you suggested, but a battery only free standing CO alarm. this could just be placed unobtrusively near the boiler.

In my own house, in addition to the mains CO alarm in the kitchen (where the boiler is located), I have battery detectors in our bedroom and our son's bedroom. I am a bit paranoid though. The owners of a nearby Chinese takeaway lived in the flat above the shop and the whole family were killed my CO from the boiler. It hadn't been serviced in over ten years though, apparently. My interlinked smokes are OTT as well, I have ten. :oops:

In my own house, in addition to the mains CO alarm in the kitchen (where the boiler is located), I have battery detectors in our bedroom and our son's bedroom. I am a bit paranoid though. The owners of a nearby Chinese takeaway lived in the flat above the shop and the whole family were killed my CO from the boiler. It hadn't been serviced in over ten years though, apparently. My interlinked smokes are OTT as well, I have ten. :oops:
bloodyhell. that lot go off it'll wake the dead. get on dragon's den with it.

Reply to Carbon Monoxide Alarm in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net