Discuss Cat 5/5e/6 installation and termination in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S

sparx1983

Hi, brand new to this forum, in the process of starting up my own business. Has anyone any experience with cat5 (low voltage) installation? Never done it before with previous company, would like to know more info about it or if someone could tell me where i can find info about it, such as wiring diagrams, usage, best materials etc. any information would be greatfully received. Thanks :D

only ever done cat 5. all data points are run as a single radial from the data cabinet. the only time you will loop off that point is if you want to duplicate that point, ie want to be able to move your computer from one to the other. i thionk there are other ways of achieving that also. On the back of the RJ45 keystone jacks (the bits you plug into) ther is a colour code. As brits we use B. so B=best.

When making up patch leads turn the plug so the brass is faceing upwards. you strip your cat5 so that the cores are half thye length of the plug. arrange them in this order from left to right. Orangewhite . orange, greenwhite, blue, bluewhite, green, brownwhite, brown. Flatten them in that order, and then push them into the plug. Push them home and then crimp with your RJ45 crimper.

See below for diagram

Last edited:
:)thanks johnboy, im doing a rewire and the guy wants cat5 everywhere in 6 bedrooms, office, kitchen, living room, hall, etc etc. So each point has to be a seperate radial? and is it run off of a single router/modem connected to the hub/switch in the data cabinet? also can you use the data cabinet for a media center aswell? sorry mate its all a learning curve, really appreciate the advice

in small domestic, if the client wants internet accessat each point, a router supplied with the broadband pack is good. Imnot sure if you can use the same system as a network, im sure others will be along to advise shortly

on a larger scale, all data cables are run from a patch panel in the rack. thepatch panel acts like a big router. i only know the very basics, and like you would like to learn more.

ok thanks mate, does that eliminate the need for a data cabinet? and whats the diff between cat 5 and cat 6 cables? so its as simple as that? running radials and terminating them at each box and at the source?

Cat 6 can run data at higher speeds than cat 5... thats all mate.

Just finshed first fix on a couple of jobs myself.... data points all over the place.

Mateys brought a patch panel on one of the jobs so we'll see how I get on with that!

Got someone on standby if I second fix and it dosent all work out and maybe need some test gear.

Just make sure you dont over bend the cables and protect them correctly if going through walls, quite easy to damage.

Sy

Last edited:
Heres one i done on friday....had to make of 40 cat 6 cables....heres 24 of them :)

Cat 5/5e/6 installation and termination {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

Last edited by a moderator:
Cat 6 has a screen conductor and is indicated when running data networks for 10/1000 LAN. HUgely more expensive but reduces crosstalk to near zero if cbles are routed correctly.

I have some info somewhere about data networks (we do several a year, and we test and verify many more) I'm looking it out for you.

In a nutshell, you run single data cables from each point back to a patch panel. We run 2 for each so there is a spare for later. Punch down neatly at the patch panel each one and use modular connectors on the sockets - testers are cheap enough but if you want to do it properly then testing gets very very expensive.

The patch panel then can be used to feed network data from a switch, router or gateway, or indeed anywhere to each single point on the network - it is just that - a patch - you use short interconnecting leads between switches/equipment to the patch to feed whatever is on the end of the cables.

But beware, I add - Builder will pull, walk on and do everything in they're power to damage data cable sof any specification. Sorry - had a bad "see what builder done" day.

CAT 6 must be installed correctly for you to optimise its performance sweeping bends only and definaltley no 45 bends or kinks, Cat5 is alot more robust when it comes to passing test results and can be ragged around alot more. Rember max distance of 100mtrs this distance also includes patch leads so generally 94-95 mtrs point to point.

If your going further than 100mtrs then a secondary cabinet may be required with a link between the 2 cabs.

I spent 10 yrs doing data comms before I turned to electric so any questions fire away

when i mentioned aboput duplicating points, ie looping from one to the next, (only 1 to be used at a time), is this common practice? ive been told to do it before, in a training room so that the instructor can choose where to plug into.

does anybody know what i can buy to test the cable/terminations etc. i've recently installed a cat 6 system but they havent organised the broadband connection yet (4months later). i'd like to know that it all works and they just have to 'plug in'
thanks

got my tester off ebay ÂŁ8.99. just plug in at each end. fairy lights show each pair OK ( not the tester to use on MOD IT, but does for domestics.)

Reply to Cat 5/5e/6 installation and termination in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock