Discuss Catenary wire heights in a domestic setting. in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

Mr Hehound

Due to difficulties running buried swa in a domestic garden (can explain if necessary), and limited alternatives, I'm considering suspending the run from the DB in garage to the outbuilding.

Have looked through BGB and searched the forum for details regarding min height and have found various answers - 6 mtrs in an agricultural / livestock rearing environment? 4 mtrs where there might be passing traffic? 3.5 mtrs where there might be riders on horses?

Not sure whether (a) any of these are actually correct and (b) whether they apply to a domestic situation. It is fairly unlikely someone is going to drive a car or ride a horse through the guys garden.

If I go to the index of BGB and look up suspended / catenary it refers me to App 4 and current carrying table but no mention of min heights here as far as I can see (though I have sampled a few jars tonight so could have missed something)

Could anyone refer me to a reg (or something else) that would help?

Thanks.:)

Hi Mr Hehound,
I know it's a very old post but I'm in the process of doing the same thing.
Can you tell me how long your run was, did you use swa, what size, and did you experience much sag?
Regarding my situation i'm contemplating using a 4mm 3 core swa over a 15 metre long catenary. Worried about whether it'll take the strain though and if it does, the sag.

This reminded me of my telecom days, we had to follow a bit of legislation called flying wires, which is section 10 of the telecoms code 1984.
They had a minimum hight for every situation and a maximum hight too.
Special rule for playgrounds, graveyards, rail lines and work sites
You can't just apply common sense as sense IS NOT COMMON.
So, questions
Is the land private and only accessible by those who live in the house or do your neighbours have access under the intended route.
Can you pass a vehicle under the route.
Can you walk under the route.

@StepUp ---vMr Hehound is no longer a member, you can tell by the guest under his name and that you cannot link to the profile, you will not get any response from that member although other may wish to advise you, you may be best starting a new thread so active current members can help you out or carry this thread on as you seem to be getting some responses.

@StepUp ---vMr Hehound is no longer a member, you can tell by the guest under his name and that you cannot link to the profile, you will not get any response from that member although other may wish to advise you, you may be best starting a new thread so active current members can help you out or carry this thread on as you seem to be getting some responses.
Hello Darkwood,

Are you sure? When I found this thread earlier he was marked as online. By the time I'd registered he'd gone offline.
I have no problem starting a new thread for my post though.
Do you have any suggestions about the topic?

Thanks in anticipation.

Hello Darkwood,

Are you sure? When I found this thread earlier he was marked as online. By the time I'd registered he'd gone offline.
I have no problem starting a new thread for my post though.
Do you have any suggestions about the topic?

Thanks in anticipation.
It is possible the forum software recognises his IP address if he still browses it as a non member, I'll have to take your word for it that it said online but that may explain it.

As for catenary line, you haven't given any details to the install itself, is this domestic, does it cross over a drive or public access etc, all will have bearing on the height and preferred system you choose.
With a quality catenary wire and high tension anchor it should keep to a minimum sag but lacking info here to give too much in the way of help.

Right here goes - Domestic install, job is to supply big shed at back of garden. Big incline from house to shed, so from 3.5/4 metres height on house to door height on shed. Run to go close to boundary between properties. I'm looking at a 4mm catenary kit with eye bolts and tensioner. Distance is roughly 12 to 15 metres. My concern is the weight of the 4mm 3 core swa and if the 4mm catenary can support this without significant sag or pulling the wall or mount post down. Comments appreciated from anyone with experience of such an install.

Hi - the 3mm is rated over 100kg from memory, so it's likely your main challenge will be to get it properly anchored and tensioned. If you don't need bonding in the shed (and its single phase) then perhaps you only need 2 core ? Save kg and £. Here's a link to some stuff I've used before :)
Catenary Wire 3mm - 30M Coils - Galvanised - https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/TLCAT30.html

Good shout on the 2 core Wilko and the link. Not sure whats going on with the Gorilla affinity though! o_O:)

Reply to Catenary wire heights in a domestic setting. in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net