Cdm

Discuss Cdm in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

H

hightower

One of the Facebook groups I'm in posted today about CDM and the recent changes.

Apparently small contractors have new requirements in complying with CDM. Now I'm very green to all of this hence why I'm posting here to gather your thoughts. The word is HSE are driving round, looking for vans, catching small contractors out, and landing them a hefty fine - now I know hearsay is easily escalated so I'm taking that with a pinch of salt.

There's a CDM Wizard app which takes 5 minutes to complete (per job) and apparently then you'll comply with CDM regs.

CDM Wizard app - CITB

What's peoples thoughts on this. Is it true that small contractors have a duty to comply here? Is it something you currently do, or plan to start doing? Are HSE really driving around looking for sign-written vans or someone working up a ladder and asking to see their CDM compliance?

One of the Facebook groups I'm in posted today about CDM and the recent changes.

Apparently small contractors have new requirements in complying with CDM. Now I'm very green to all of this hence why I'm posting here to gather your thoughts. The word is HSE are driving round, looking for vans, catching small contractors out, and landing them a hefty fine - now I know hearsay is easily escalated so I'm taking that with a pinch of salt.

There's a CDM Wizard app which takes 5 minutes to complete (per job) and apparently then you'll comply with CDM regs.

CDM Wizard app - CITB

What's peoples thoughts on this. Is it true that small contractors have a duty to comply here? Is it something you currently do, or plan to start doing? Are HSE really driving around looking for sign-written vans or someone working up a ladder and asking to see their CDM compliance?[/QUOTE]

No,they are driving around,looking for sparks messing on Facebook,rather than concentrating,whilst up that ladder...:wings:

I have downloaded app and used a couple of times on bigger jobs easy to cover yourself.Can't see myself doing it for a outside light change etc.

Yes CDM has been changed to now cover every bit of work which falls under the broad definition of construction. Which reaches the extreme of now affecting the construction of a scenery in a theatre and the scene changes in the show.

Just completing the paperwork will not be enough if the actual work being carried out and the methods of doing it don't tie up with what is actually going on.

Yes CDM has been changed to now cover every bit of work which falls under the broad definition of construction. Which reaches the extreme of now affecting the construction of a scenery in a theatre and the scene changes in the show.

Just completing the paperwork will not be enough if the actual work being carried out and the methods of doing it don't tie up with what is actually going on.

Oh for g**s sake leave us alone...

Oh goody more paperwork.

From what I can see it is something else for me to ignore until I have no choice.
Well be careful because rumour has it lads are getting landed hefty fines when HSE turn up out of the blue and ask to see your paperwork. The app I linked to literally takes 5 minutes to complete.

How long will it be before we have to have an IOSH or NEBOSH qualification before we can do some work.

Health and Safety has become a job and an industry on it's own rather than an add on to existing business it is surprising how many professional H&S advisors there are assessing jobs and working practices that they have little knowledge of or qualification in and are just making the task more complicated and very expensive

Just a pity the outgoing chief of the HSE isn't making a bigger issue out of what she was saying on BBC Breakfast yesterday

Another load of ******** imo. Most of these H+S jobsworths don't have a clue anyway. Had to do a course last year where the subject of why we use 110v transformers on site. The reason given by the lecturer was "the voltage is halved so it's safer". He went totally blank when I mentioned CTE and a max voltage of 55v.

Jobs for the boys. We all know what's right and what isn't. If you're going to do something unsafe, having to complete some poxy form before you do it isn't going to stop you.

CDM is more than just health and safety of the moment.....

Also looks at long term issues such as how/is it possible to maintain something long term etc.

So if you install something that cant be maintained for whatever reason.........

Edited to add, still a load of CARP!

Last edited:

Reply to Cdm in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock