Discuss CEF Live, Tony Cable and Darren Staniforth or whatever is name is in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Pete999

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Went to CEF Live today, plenty of good deals, I bought a Klein mini screwdriver for £10, and with it came a set of super rods, a Klein cable tape and a Klein kneeling pad, enough of that, sat in on a NICEIC Seminar with TC and DS the were covering the proposed 18th, lots of proposals one or two which made me sit up and pay attention a bit more was the new proposes changes to Earthing and Bonding, it would seem that when the 18th come to fruition in July 2018, if the Gas and Water main pipes entering the dwelling are insulated, then there will be no need to run your 10mm2 bonding conductors, I asked for clarification on this and they were in agreement. it will also be necessary to provide an earth extra to the DNO earth, i,e, Rod, structural steelworks or building steelworks foundations Re-bar etc. Sorry can't recall much else it was peeing down and I'm whacko.

open a bottle of red, chill out, :)
Run out Tel, got to go to the Hospital in Oxford tomorrow, might try and persuade my Mrs that we need to stop at the Services for some stores. Bad planning I know.

Went to CEF Live today, plenty of good deals, I bought a Klein mini screwdriver for £10, and with it came a set of super rods, a Klein cable tape and a Klein kneeling pad, enough of that, sat in on a NICEIC Seminar with TC and DS the were covering the proposed 18th, lots of proposals one or two which made me sit up and pay attention a bit more was the new proposes changes to Earthing and Bonding, it would seem that when the 18th come to fruition in July 2018, if the Gas and Water main pipes entering the dwelling are insulated, then there will be no need to run your 10mm2 bonding conductors, I asked for clarification on this and they were in agreement. it will also be necessary to provide an earth extra to the DNO earth, i,e, Rod, structural steelworks or building steelworks foundations Re-bar etc. Sorry can't recall much else it was peeing down and I'm whacko.

Hi @Pete999 i also went to the Cef live today, thought cef put on a good event plenty of stands, comps, freebies good deals & free food/drink. I think TC Was refering to metalic incoming pipes that after the stoptap are all plastic, 18th not requiring the incoming pipe to be bonded. 18th draft didnt seem to drastic tbh & wont be mandatory till jan 2019 so plenty of time to brush up , the install of earth electrode or suitable replacement ie structural steel to the MET could be a pain in some installs, but im guessing that would only apply to new works/alterations & additions in installation. I liked the all surface cables throughout properties to have metal type fixings reg not just in escape routes ie d clips or steel conduit/trunking. Rcds mandatory on all socket outlets & all luminaire circuits which most do anyway. What did you think of TC's eicr codings, i thought they were too lenient on some & too harsh on others, but i supose thats why its called a report. Good show.

Hi @Pete999 i also went to the Cef live today, thought cef put on a good event plenty of stands, comps, freebies good deals & free food/drink. I think TC Was refering to metalic incoming pipes that after the stoptap are all plastic, 18th not requiring the incoming pipe to be bonded. 18th draft didnt seem to drastic tbh & wont be mandatory till jan 2019 so plenty of time to brush up , the install of earth electrode or suitable replacement ie structural steel to the MET could be a pain in some installs, but im guessing that would only apply to new works/alterations & additions in installation. I liked the all surface cables throughout properties to have metal type fixings reg not just in escape routes ie d clips or steel conduit/trunking. Rcds mandatory on all socket outlets & all luminaire circuits which most do anyway. What did you think of TC's eicr codings, i thought they were too lenient on some & too harsh on others, but i supose thats why its called a report. Good show.
I did ask specifically and he agreed the question came from the point "should I bond the pipe if the out going pipework was plastic", his answer to my question, which was " If both the water and Gas incomers were of the insulted type, running the 10mm bond IS NOT required"in fact he joked leave the 10mm in the van it's not needed, I'm not a member of NICEIC nor any of the other CPS so I can't ring them up and ask for confirmation. As far as I and my Son who was with me if the incoming water or gas pipe are metal but insulated then no bond is required, if it turns out thst this not the case, both presenters and the NICEIC need to receive a rollocking for giving out false advice to what is a serious matter.

Insulted, insulated or isolated @Pete999 - I'm guessing you mean isolated as regarding bonding.
I assumed he meant metal pipe cover in an insulating material, that's how I understood it, I guess we should wait until we get some more up to date info, in all honesty that's how I understood what they told me, unusual I know, and then continuing within the building with all plastic pipework.

but surely they can't endorse insulated water and gas pipes. they will burst into flames if a connection is not tight enough.

And thanks for you @Pete999 and @bigspark17 for reporting back to us.
Trevor McDonald and Jon snow - fight amongst yourselves who is who!
I'm not fighting anyone especially bigspark17, just pointing what I heard and understood, if bigspark takes a differing view then what's to argue about? wish I hadn't said anything now, wish I had some wine to drink.

I assumed he meant metal pipe cover in an insulating material, that's how I understood it, I guess we should wait until we get some more up to date info, in all honesty that's how I understood what they told me, unusual I know, and then continuing within the building with all plastic pipework.

Yes that's how I read it in the draft of the 18th, a metallic pipe that is externally insulated up to it's point of entry to the building.
Never seen any myself though apart from oil storage tanks and the odd gas line.

I meant which reporter do you want to be? Lost in translation!

Yes that's how I read it in the draft of the 18th, a metallic pipe that is externally insulated up to it's point of entry to the building.
Never seen any myself though apart from oil storage tanks and the odd gas line.

I suppose the thinking being that if a metallic pipe has a covering of insulating material throughout it's length it's unlikely to pick up an earth potential.
I suspect it'll be another grey area cause of confusion and we'll just bond it anyway.

I suppose the thinking being that if a metallic pipe has a covering of insulating material throughout it's length it's unlikely to pick up an earth potential.
I suspect it'll be another grey area cause of confusion and we'll just bond it anyway.
Possibly

The way i took it that say a metal water pipe into a property was extraneous but from stop tap it was all plastic thereafter the incoming metal pipe need not be bonded. As for gas it has to be metal/copper throughout so i dont see how this could be omitted from bonding tbh. But thats why the draft is out for us folks to take it diferent ways talk it through, smooth out the cracks & be fully versed by july2018/jan2019. P.s did you get your free milwaukee tshirt from the hot twins @ the milwaukee stand @Pete999 i got x2 :)

So did they say in so many words that if you go to a property install a extra double socket you then need to run an earth cable to an earth electrode outside for this new supplementary earthing?

So did they say in so many words that if you go to a property install a extra double socket you then need to run an earth cable to an earth electrode outside for this new supplementary earthing?

It was a summary of the regs that touched very briefly on new bits in the 18th, they didnt expand much tbh.

Reply to CEF Live, Tony Cable and Darren Staniforth or whatever is name is in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock