Discuss Ceiling lights flicker when turned on in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

W

Weymark

Hi

Our first floor ceiling lights are all on the same circuit on the breaker board. The have started flickering sometimes when turned on. The flickering will last up to 5 second then the light will turn on and be fine. Sometimes when another light is turned on within the same circuit all of the others will dim momentarily.

This issue does not happen all of the time, but has happened on all of the lights at various times, and when using all of the switches on the circuit.

All of the fixtures and switches have been checked, and are ok. I believe that the next step may be to start lifting flooring to look at wiring.

I would welcome any advice on possible solutions to try, and I want to try and avoid ripping up floors, should we just live with the flickering, or does this sound like a safety issue?

Thanks

Hi

Our first floor ceiling lights are all on the same circuit on the breaker board. The have started flickering sometimes when turned on. The flickering will last up to 5 second then the light will turn on and be fine. Sometimes when another light is turned on within the same circuit all of the others will dim momentarily.

This issue does not happen all of the time, but has happened on all of the lights at various times, and when using all of the switches on the circuit.

All of the fixtures and switches have been checked, and are ok. I believe that the next step may be to start lifting flooring to look at wiring.

I would welcome any advice on possible solutions to try, and I want to try and avoid ripping up floors, should we just live with the flickering, or does this sound like a safety issue?

Thanks
How have you come to the conclusion that all the fitting and fixtures are OK?

How have you come to the conclusion that all the fitting and fixtures are OK?
We had our usual electrician in to look at the problem. Of course the lights didn't flicker when he came in, but he did spot check all of the fixtures and said there were no issues. Given that we still have flickering lights i was just keen for advice on whether we should be concerned?

Just the first floor ceiling and not the whole house lights? What type of lamp are they - filament, compact Florey, halogen or LED?

..........Given that we still have flickering lights i was just keen for advice on whether we should be concerned?
Not sure why your electrician would leave without finding the problem. Flickering is highly likely to be a poor connection and poor connections are always a fire risk so I would be concerned and I'd suggest you percivere and find the problem.

Just the first floor ceiling and not the whole house lights? What type of lamp are they - filament, compact Florey, halogen or LED?
That's right, just first floor. Standard Halogens, with the exception of the bathroom LED spots, but these haven't seemed to flicker.

240volt or extra low voltage with transformers?

I think that I just have 60w bayonets in all of the fittings on the circuit, but not home to check right now. What were your thoughts on this?
Not sure why the other light dim but sometimes a lamp can "flicker" before it pops. Not sure what checks your sparks carried but the the flex from the ceiling rose to the BC can become damaged/loose/frayed etc

I'd go with post #3 consumer unit tightness check. Did the electrician go into the board or just the fittings?
He did everything, the board, the box on the outside of the wall and all fittings. I believe he also checked for voltage fluctuations. Hence he is now suggesting that he will need to life the flooring above to look into it more. How likely is it that we will find something away from the fixtures though? Lifting floors will certainly cause chaos, which I would love to try and avoid.

I'd go with post #3 consumer unit tightness check. Did the electrician go into the board or just the fittings?
He did everything, the board, the box on the outside of the wall and all fittings. I believe he also checked for voltage fluctuations. Hence he is now suggesting that he will need to life the flooring above to look into it more. How likely is it that we will find something away from the fixtures though? Lifting floors will certainly cause chaos, which I would love to try and avoid.

Thanks, we will have to call the pro back in. It might also be worth noting that the white surround of the lamp holders are discouloured brown on this circuit. They have been like it for the year we have lived in the home and have not got any worse, but don't know if this is symptomatic of an issue, or just normal wear and tear.

We had our usual electrician in to look at the problem. Of course the lights didn't flicker when he came in, but he did spot check all of the fixtures and said there were no issues. Given that we still have flickering lights i was just keen for advice on whether we should be concerned?
"Usual Electrician" is that a proper Electrician or some Bod that thinks he is an Electrician?

Get a proper qualified Spark in with the correct test gear, and the right approach to fault finding.

Reply to Ceiling lights flicker when turned on in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock