Discuss Ceiling mounted extract fan in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi.
Not had much to do with domestic and subsequently have not fitted many bathroom fans.
Have builders in doing my loft conversion and am wiring myself. Now the only place for the extractor fan is in the ceiling with duct run through void out soffit.
Unfortunately I only just had enough height in loft for conversion so the ceiling void between joists is about 5".
Is there a slim enough fan to mount in the ceiling for this?
Looking around online and no one gives the depth each fans goes back into the wall or ceiling as appropriate .
Pictures look like they go back about 4".

Pop into the wholesalers with a tape measure is probably your best bet, i think the vent axia ultra silent fans have a small rear profile. if not try Greenwood cv2GIP they have a small profile also.

You may have to fit a surface mounted fan with so little space, possibly a centrifugal fan to allow for extract distance
It seems to me even if a flush fan was able to mount, the ducting connection for the change of direction could make it a no go

Thankyou for your answers.

Lankywill: definitely will be visiting wholesalers with tape measure next time I'm nearby. Will look into the models you mentioned.
Des: did expect I'd would need more of a surface fan than flush due to duct connection although haven't looked at wholly surface ones yet.
Thanks for advice on centrifugal. Duct is about 2.5m.

Andy: would love to unfortunately it's a full width dormer on the back and bathroom is under the flat roof.

Any recommendations for a surface ceiling mount fan?

I like the ventaxia silent range, as I know they are quiet(ish). Another thought is to put a Manrose mixed flow 4in (say) in the soffit?

I've fitted about 500+ Vortice Quadro Micro 100/T. These fans are surface mounted and look pretty decent compared to other models. Never had an issue with them either, they have humidistat models also but aren't cheap.

Why can't you go out through an outside wall?

Why isn't the builders spark not doing this?

Reply to Ceiling mounted extract fan in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock