Discuss Ceiling rose - both lights on or one in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

W

Will Morley

Hi guys,

I recently moved into into a house and it didn't have any ceiling roses. A black fitting was in place that was wired like this:

image.jpg

I attached the blue and brown wires from the ceiling rose and switched it on and both lights came on. But for some reason when I switch it off, one light stays on all the time.

Anyone got any ideas?

it would be greatly appreciated.

How is the next light wired? the one with the three core and earth ?

Thats a two core and earth, where does the three core and earth go to?

I believe the 3 core goes to a burglar alarm (no idea how the old owner had it wires up)

So I assume he may have wir e it similarly to an extractor fan

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe the 3 core goes to a burglar alarm (no idea how the old owner had it wires up)

Will can't see what has been done from your description, your best bet would be to get an Electrician in for a look, someone on site would suss it out in short order, good luck.

i'd guess at 2 way switching. if OP posts his location, 1 of us may be close.

i'd guess at 2 way switching. if OP posts his location, 1 of us may be close.

My first guess was a L,N and SL to the next fitting but it's only a guess with the SL and L mixed up at the next destination

I'm Derby based. Im going to take out the 4 core wire and see if it stops one of the switched or if it's connected to the alarm?

Reply to Ceiling rose - both lights on or one in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hello everyone, hope all are well. I'm changing a ceiling rose and have lost the diagram showing where everything was connected (to the old light)...
Replies
Views
Hi guys, I have recently encountered that my circuit breaker for the upstairs lights keeps tripping. I flick it back on and immediately it trips...
Replies
Views
Hello, Looking for DIY electrical advice. I have 7 x spots, and each are fitted with 1 x T&E connector block fitting [see photo]. In the past...
Replies
Views
A rose in my 1970s kitchen ceiling became loose (one fixing screw had been inserted right on the edge of the hole in the ceiling) and when I...
Replies
Views
I've wired up my spots however the main light [the one that was once a ceiling rose] works as intended with the light switch, but the rest are...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock