Discuss Ceiling Wiring Confusion (4 wires) in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

. . . . . and then medical help!
The bang test gets a bit old with a 3036 board - rewiring a fuse just to try again - we're spoilt with these new fangled MCBs you know!

nowt wrong with a 3036 fuse that a 2" nail won't cure.

@telectrix - back in your basket, bad boy!
How are the pups, have you been keeping us informed on the maternity thread?

Sorry to hear that of the two but great that other 3 have made it - a miracle in its own right. Smell them for me! I love puppy smell.

Join the red to the brown using a connector block.
Insert the two black wires into the L and N.
See what happens.

Yes that may work, but it does not resolve the earthing issue, not only is there no Earth connected in the ceiling but it is very likely that the switch is not earthed either!

Get an electrician

My advice would be to forget about trying to connect them up different ways in the hope that it works, and just call out an electrician.

You will likely find they'll charge more than if you had of just called an electrician to begin I know I would charge more.

Lighting circuits without cpc were the fashion in the UK prior to 1966 (13th Edition). So yes there are a lot still around. Obviously, the best fix, would be to rewire that particular circuit, but some customers either can't or won't afford this.

Another fix would be to run an earth from another circuit, but then you run the risk of that being inadvertently disconnected over time, or as I found recently an earth wire was used, bonded to a copper pipe.

There is another fix (following a risk assessment), that involves using only Class II luminaires and plastic light switches, then placing a pretty label on the consumer unit, indicating that particular circuit(s) does not have provision for earthing metal equipment. (Electrical Safety First - Best Practise Guide 1).

Not forgetting the pretty notice has absolutely no backbone in should you be faced with prosecution
Lighting circuits without cpc were the fashion in the UK prior to 1966 (13th Edition). So yes there are a lot still around. Obviously, the best fix, would be to rewire that particular circuit, but some customers either can't or won't afford this.

Another fix would be to run an earth from another circuit, but then you run the risk of that being inadvertently disconnected over time, or as I found recently an earth wire was used, bonded to a copper pipe.

There is another fix (following a risk assessment), that involves using only Class II luminaires and plastic light switches, then placing a pretty label on the consumer unit, indicating that particular circuit(s) does not have provision for earthing metal equipment. (Electrical Safety First - Best Practise Guide 1).
Is this sticker recognised by BS7671:D

What parameters would you base the risk assessment on and when assessment indicates a risk what measures would you put in place.

Reply to Ceiling Wiring Confusion (4 wires) in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock