Discuss Ceiling Wiring Confusion (4 wires) in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

What parameters would you base the risk assessment on and when assessment indicates a risk what measures would you put in place.

feet and inches, of course, sod them foriegn millipedes.

Not forgetting the pretty notice has absolutely no backbone in should you be faced with prosecution

Is this sticker recognised by BS7671:D

Not my opinion I might add, just that of Electrical Safety First, one of the committee members of JPEL/64. They do have caveats, but it is put forward as a possible solution.

Quote; There is no legal requirement, and no regulation in BS 7671, requiring an existing electrical installation to be upgraded to current standards.
However, there is a requirement under the Building Regulations for England and Wales to leave the installation and the building no worse in terms of the level of compliance with other applicable parts of Schedule 1 to the Building Regulations than before the work was undertaken. (Schedule 1 gives the requirements with which building work must comply,).

I would normally advise rewiring that particular circuit, but as I said before some people can't or won't afford it.

Recently, doing a bathroom refurbishment, client wanted all sorts of changes to the lighting, but I discovered the circuit had no cpc. In the end, my client had just the batten holder replaced with a Class II fitting, which I found bizarre with the amount of money being spent on flashy showers and tiling etc but they couldn't afford the circuit rewired. Nought so queer as folk.

I of course could of just 'walked away', but I think at least I left the bathroom light slightly safer, than it was before.

What parameters would you base the risk assessment on and when assessment indicates a risk what measures would you put in place.

To clarify, not my words, but that of Electrical Safety First - Best Practise Guide 1, as I alluded to in my post. The guide is freely available to down load, and to read.

Wow, so many comments since yesterday. Pretty active forum which is great! So I decided to reverse the process and stick the old ceiling rose light back on, only to find that the switch then wouldn't work! It was just remaining on the whole time! By the point I really couldn't figure out what I had done, so you'll be pleased to hear, I took on the majority advice and got an electrician in! He was not impressed with the wiring as expected, but got it sorted :) Death Star light up and running! :p Thanks for your help all!

View attachment 36056

QUOTE - There is also a requirement in BS7671, not to leave an installation less safe. END QUOTE

less safe than what ?
less safe than when you first got there ?
less safe than some electrical code ?
WHAT ?

QUOTE - There is also a requirement in BS7671, not to leave an installation less safe. END QUOTE

less safe than what ?
less safe than when you first got there ?
less safe than some electrical code ?
WHAT ?
I believe it is taken to be less safe than before any work is commenced, i.e as per installation condition prior to addition /alteration.
Though any decent spark would ensure that the installation is in an improved state post work done. As a basic example (similar to op situation) - installing a class 2 fitting where there is no cpc installed.

Actual wording is:
"For an addition or alteration to an existing installation, it shall be verified that the addition or alteration complies with the Regulations and does not impair the safety of the existing installation."

Reply to Ceiling Wiring Confusion (4 wires) in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net