Discuss cement board roof safety in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

W

woko

Hello all, got a 20kw on a fibre cement roof. Having roof survey, edge protection and safety netting installed.

What do other use to walk on the roof? Crawl boards, ladders?

It depends on the roof really, how old it is, how thick the roof material is etc.

crawling boards are not a bad idea, what is your assessment of it?

would you walk across a frozen lake?
Yet they drive artics over them and make a TV series of it.

I believe, some are brave, some are stupid, some are lucky, and some are careful.

If you do fall through a fibre cement roof, it happens very quickly, no warning, just bang and you are through it, I know, as I have been through one, only on a stable, the funny thing was it happened as I was pulling a board up to be safe....,

I think what Earthstore has said just about sums it up !?
Crawl boards if you want , but they can be an arse to work around .
The only other thing apart from a load out platform , that is a good idea would be to 1/2in ply line the sky lights .

As well as the usual safety requirements, we board out ALL roofs irrespective of construction material with 20mm OSB sheets to work from, it actually makes the jobs quicker as well as safer.

All my commercial installs so far have been double skinned metal roofs which can be walked on. Priced a couple of single sheet roofs recently. I like the OSB sheet idea. Do you use a few boards as a cat walk? How do you stop them sliding off?
Cheers for reply Worcester.

In the search box (top right) just do a search on "cement roof" or barn roof" it will bring up many threads that may well help you.

I hope this helps.

All my commercial installs so far have been double skinned metal roofs which can be walked on. Priced a couple of single sheet roofs recently. I like the OSB sheet idea. Do you use a few boards as a cat walk? How do you stop them sliding off?
Cheers for reply Worcester.

Yep use them effectively as cat walks, with the edge protection that we put in place, never had an issue of them sliding off! Just got to watch those winter mornings (like Jan and Feb this year) - they can build us slippy as heck if they get iced up.

Reply to cement board roof safety in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net