Discuss Certifying another Sparks work in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

robo83

-
Reaction score
Hi,

I've been approached by a builder who has requested several of his jobs are certified. He has used another electrician to carry out the work who is unable to certify his own work.

I've suggested an EICR report as I'm unable to inspect cable runs in permitted zones along with other factors that I'm unable to verify, especially the quality of another's work.

He has informed me that as long as this is good enough for the council then that's fine.

Any suggestions on how best to approach has this, is there still a 3 signature certificate. Install, design and test?

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

The builder and his previous "spark" are rather naughty aren't they. They have not complied with Part P of the building regs. If you need the work, then do an EIC only. You cannot do the 3 part EIC, even with the other as designer and installer and with you as the tester. You can't do it because you did not inspect 1st fix. Do an EICR only and state on there "Inspection and testing following 2nd fix only"

Last edited:
BEFORE you do anything, best put a call into your LABC.

Guildford will allow an EICR, BUT if only done by one of "their approved" sparks (i.e. subcontracted) and the fees are eye watering!)

Thanks, most gratful for all the input.

As you can see im extremly cautious, the jobs are scattered in location so i will respond stating i am only willing to conduct EICR reports.

Wouldn't be at all surprised if the builder did these jobs himself and the other electrician he knew, who maybe just gave him certification doesn't want to know anymore. I would steer well clear because any builder worth his salts would use an electrician who can certify their own work. If you do decide to then you can only use the EICR

A tester I know has done EICR for a other electrician he knows as he did not 1st and 2nd fix job just tested it,turns out that LBC would not except The electrician then asked his old employer ( in NAPIT) if they would do a EIC and they did signing off all three parts.

Thanks, most gratful for all the input.

As you can see im extremly cautious, the jobs are scattered in location so i will respond stating i am only willing to conduct EICR reports.

If you do it charge handsomely and cover yourself in the reports etc

I think stroma offer third party certification but I'd never do it and I'm not even sure what criteria needs to be met. It'd be a thorough EICR at best for me as I wouldn't want to put my name to something that I haven't done.

I think stroma offer third party certification but I'd never do it and I'm not even sure what criteria needs to be met. It'd be a thorough EICR at best for me as I wouldn't want to put my name to something that I haven't done.
To do third party you need to be involved from the design stage and inspect all the 1st fix before it is concealed. Them inspect 2nd fix and you will almost certainly end up testing it as the installer won't know an RCD from a BLT!! As they mostly ask people to sign it off after it is 2nd fixed.......there lies the problem.

To do third party you need to be involved from the design stage and inspect all the 1st fix before it is concealed. Them inspect 2nd fix and you will almost certainly end up testing it as the installer won't know an RCD from a BLT!! As they mostly ask people to sign it off after it is 2nd fixed.......there lies the problem.
Id rather have a blt

There is a process that a LBC has, for works carried without consent of the Building Regulations, it's called a 'Regularisation Certificate'. My LBC includes electrical work in that, and will charge £600. How that actually works, I have no idea, but I presume it will follow the lines of them employing an electrician to carry out an EICR. The application, suggests you may have to open up and uncover work.
I suppose its possible to confuse a building inspector with a EICR, when they are expecting to see a EIC, but not sure how you would mange the 'Notification' process, if that was required also, in this instance.

I had the same problem few weeks back.

I phoned the NIC and they gave me 2 option:

1. Complete the 3 part EIC and sign only the testing part, and have the other person/s
responsible for design and install sign the other parts.

2. Ask building control if they'll accept an EICR.

In the end I carried out the EIC and had other spark sign the sections he was responsible for.

It is his name on the Cert but I believe he is only signing for the testing of it which is fine, there are some items on the Schedule of Inspections which may be difficult to confirm.

It is his name on the Cert but I believe he is only signing for the testing of it which is fine, there are some items on the Schedule of Inspections which may be difficult to confirm.

The box he has signed takes responsibility for the inspection and testing of the installation as described in the description and extent part of the certificate, and that it conforms, in it's entirety, to BS7671. If there are items he cannot verify then more fool him.

Reply to Certifying another Sparks work in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net