Discuss Change in the Law regarding RCDs in Rental Properties in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

I agree about the rcd, if there is no rcd protection at it is classed as unsatisfactory. If the sockets have rcd protection and nothing else all the bathroom circuits should all be bonded together along with the pipework. But then there is still the problem of cables not buried below 50mm or protrected by earhthed screen.

I can see that this is a great idea - but only if I wear my Electrician's Hat because it would be a government enforced ticket for us to print money. There are a lot of installations with no RCD and even old wired fuses. Currently if the system is safe there is no requirement for the Landlord to spend money on it but with legislation forcing the use of RCDs, we would have a field day upgrading installations, not just fitting an RCD.

If I wear my Landlord's Hat, however, it takes on a completely different shade! If an installation is safe, why should I be forced to cough up a great deal of money on my properties just to protect someone who is daft enough to take a bath with an electric bar heater? And, in many installations, simply fitting a global RCD will not be possible for reasons already mentioned, so the consumer unit would need to be replaced and possibly the entire property wiring. Provided the wiring is safe why should I have to do this?

Secondly: You cannot compare electrical and gas installations. Electricity can not fall out of the wires, filling the house with explosive and suffocating gasses. Neither can it fill the house with lethal carbon monoxide if the kettle suddenly decides to malfunction. I'm sure that the plumbers out there would all like an annual inspection certificate forced upon landlords too. Heaven forbid if all the water fell out of a pipe, filling the house and drowning the poor tenants! :) I don't need a Plumber's Hat to see that one's daft but, hopefully, you get my point.

If I put on my Computer Consultant's hat I can demand that the Government bring in annual computer checks to ensure that your computer is not infested with viruses and adverts which are emailing themselves to all the innocent victims contained in the computer's address book and then on to all of their address book contents too. The spread of computer viruses and trojans is a menace to society and must be stamped out. The cost to the internet providers and email hosts for electricity used in processing this vast quantity of spam must be quite significant. Our own email server is hit by up to 20 thousand spam emails a day, over 99% of which are, thankfully, filtered out by our software, but a computer CPU uses far more power when processing than it does at rest. Help me stamp out this menace now by writing to your MP demanding an annual PC cleanliness check! :)

Thanks

David

While we're on dchester can we tag on a provision to check all domestic kitchens each week for potentially harmful bacteria and force every parent to undergo food hygene training. You never know what could be going on and if we're going to have a nanny state it may as well be done properly

I like the way your mind works Trev.

While we are on it perhaps they should add a germ detection to the MOT test in order to check car seats for harmful bacteria. Hmmm. perhaps not :)

David

Welcome to Nics nanny state where all electricians are millionaires and everyones else has starved to death through poverty. Its for their own good mind, cos now they have RCD's.

It's been a legal requirement where I am for several years already that RCD's are fitted to protect all socket circuits and certain equipment in bathroom zones. Old properties without RCD's aren't illegal but if they ever want extra socket circuits or alterations to existing ones then an RCD would then need to be fitted protecting all socket circuits so a certificate of compliance (EICR) could be issued. Also if a property changes hands it needs certifying so again an RCD would need to be fitted.

The issue is that portable appliances by their nature are responsible for a high percentage of shocks received by the user of an electrical installation. Appliances are prone to trailing cable damage, impact damage and water ingress making a higher likelyhood of broken cpc's or exposed conductors/live parts etc .

I always assumed the reason the UK hasn't adopted a blanket requirement for RCD's on circuits supplying plug-in appliances is because you have rigorous portable appliance testing instead but from what I've read about this in real life I can't help thinking that tighter RCD requirements might not be a bad thing.

Marvo - there is no legal requirement at present to have a RCD installed on your shower or anything like that - it is only a recommendation.
BS7671 is regulations - regulations are recommendations - Acts are legal requirements.

Electricians must install RCDs because BS7671 states they should be installed and when an electrician signs off work s/he is stating that it complies to BS7671.

Fully agree with the appliances being the biggest cause of electric shocks - but an RCD will pick up any damaged appliances and isolate them before a risk(or death) occurs - a fuse will only sometimes "blow"

PAT testing is not a legal requirement either - its a recommendation - the only reason the government wont adopt RCDs in every house is because of money and not enough people have died!

But again fully agree with tighter RCD requirements

Fully agree with the appliances being the biggest cause of electric shocks - but an RCD will pick up any damaged appliances and isolate them before a risk(or death) occurs - a fuse will only sometimes "blow"

Assuming it is working correctly I have found so many non functional RCD's it's difficult to have faith that they will work when needed and let's face it how many people press the test button regularly or are you looking to make that law as well

PAT testing is not a legal requirement either - its a recommendation - the only reason the government wont adopt RCDs in every house is because of money and not enough people have died!

Although PAT testing is not a legal requirement it satisfies the requirements of proving adequate maintenance under the EAWR and as the EAWR is a statute document there is a need to comply with it

Assuming it is working correctly I have found so many non functional RCD's it's difficult to have faith that they will work when needed and let's face it how many people press the test button regularly

You've made me think UNG, how many times do we get people advocating all RCBO boards on here now? More gubbins in a smaller package, all the more chance of failure. Food for thought.

Tony, hadn't thought about that one all the problems I have come across were single or dual RCD boards but then again the proliferation of RCBO's is a more recent thing and not had time to fail yet. This now begs the question how many actually test all the RCBO's they have fitted or is it assumed that if one works they all do

At least when and if an RCBO fails, it will only effect the one circuit, and not 5 or 6 unrelated circuits as is the case with the compromised integrity of dual RCD 17th CU's.

So if you get a neutral to earth fault and it just so happens the circuit is protected by a faulty RCBO what happens then?

I'm just bumping some of the older threads in the general electrical forum that had a lot of replies. They might not be current topics, if they're not, just ignore them and they'll soon drop off the list. If you DO wish to add a reply and get the conversation going again, feel free to do so. Your input might help somebody else in the future.

This thread has become more relevant I suppose now, with the tighter regulations around RCD's in domestic environments in amendment 3 of the regs. Daz

Reply to Change in the Law regarding RCDs in Rental Properties in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock