Discuss Changing a battery in a remote control leads to..... in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

HappyHippyDad

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Evening all,

About 6/7/8?? months ago I was called to see a elderly client (who I had previously done one or two small jobs for) who's electric awning would not open. It turned out to be the battery in the remote control!! I had to make 2 journeys out to him and buy the 'odd' battery off the internet... he's just lost his wife of 60 years and is a frail old man who just struggles with some basic daily stuff.... like knowing what battery to buy! Should I charge him? No way!! I say 'no charge' he says 'heres £10', I say 'no', he says 'yes', I say 'no' he says 'yes' etc etc... I take the cash... got to really as he's insistent and I get the feeling he just wants to pay his way and not feel beholden.

The point being, his cleaner was there (it's a big house) quietly cleaning, I just said goodbye to her, no other conversation, but she had seen and heard all of this.

I have just got back from another client who wants me to do a big job for him, and guess who he got my details from.... the cleaner, who is also his cleaner!!

Well chuffed with that bit of Karma :smile5:

Fair-play to you,religious,superstitious or otherwise,it generally follows,that doing the right thing leads to good luck. Regardless of the payback,thanks or karma,some things are just "right". Also,when you work for yourself,this is the best and ONLY type of advertising you want to employ...Have a good un' :icon12:

For goodness sake HHD, have you learned nothing about business whilst being self-employed? When did you become a registered charity? Give people an inch and they want a yard. You need to charge your normal hourly rate and then material at + 100% to make ends meet. These bloomin pensioners are minted and you give him a freebie - you should have told him his consumer unit was dangerous and needed changin immediately! He'll want the same treatment from the next spark. Jeeze.

E Scrooge
Well done lad, Happy Christmas:santa1:

Whilst you have to make a living , it does not hurt to do a good turn when you can . So it is nice to see that the cleaner has in a way done you a good turn as well.

Good on you HHD , it is not always easy finding your way in the real world , when you can not just pass it up the line and you are the one it stops at !

Some of our largest customers have been gained through " just a little favour " , having said that some of our tightest have as well !
Make sure you charge this new customer the going rate , if he is worth keeping he will gladly pay it just on the recommendation he has already received .

Lets hope the new client isn't expecting a freebie as well!
That was my first thought and I was ashamed at myself for being such a cynic but I feel a bit better knowing I wasn't the only one. ;)

Good for you HHD, glad your goodwill came back to you.

This is why I make no money because I am also too nice and do too many things for free.

But, I can sleep at night knowing I'm a nice bloke with a clean reputation.

Bloody hell 22 years in the trade and I am yet to meet anyone who owns their own firm who had made any money, please there must becsome out there that do. Or are all bosses just actually that generous?
my boss has made loads of money, owns about 20 houses and just the land for his cost over half a million

ah. cheese and piccolo sarnies. can't beat 'em.

Reply to Changing a battery in a remote control leads to..... in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock