Discuss Changing consumer unit in flat in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Really ??? Where??

Cant see where im repeating you, do apologise if that has offended you and others.

Thank yu

Hi @Sparkie30 you havent offended anyone but your reply made little sense to the OP predicament..
1-how is checking ze going to help with his bonding predicament
2- the op hasnt questioned any ze max values
3- yes you can TT without contacting DNO

If the main earthing conductor is 6mm and has been in place for quite a few number of years and shows no signs of thermal damage it maybe adequate
By carrying out the aidiabatic equation it maybe an adequate CSA and can be left and a note made on the certificate

If the main earthing conductor is 6mm and has been in place for quite a few number of years and shows no signs of thermal damage it maybe adequate
By carrying out the aidiabatic equation it maybe an adequate CSA and can be left and a note made on the certificate

But the bonding issue?

It isn't the earthing conductor it is a cpc. The issue is its ability to support PME bonding.

Hi @Sparkie30 you havent offended anyone but your reply made little sense to the OP predicament..
1-how is checking ze going to help with his bonding predicament
2- the op hasnt questioned any ze max values
3- yes you can TT without contacting DNO

1- Ive never said checking ze is going to help with his bonding
The op was asking about his earthing in his 1st post
2- the op has said its pme so i guess he knows max ze value
3- no you cant unless you get permission from local authority and survey the area, and im sure if you have a eathing issue ukpn or local authority will attend pretty quickly from my experince anyway.

Please confirm landlords cupboard with Ryfield board to meter -meter tails (what size) 60A switch fuse what cable between switch fuse and flat consumer unit ?.This is always going to be a problem when a installation is constructed to a previous addition of BS7671.

Interesting conundrum, I haven't any answers just some questions for members.

Clearly not a unique situation. As regards the bonding of services, surely this is done at the intake position for all the flats, as this where the service pipe enterers the property (as a whole) and that is where the bond should be, not in each individual flat?

As the service enters each flat, it may then become an extraneous conductive part and may require bonding or reg 528.3.4 might also apply?

Why would consideration be given to converting to TT, when the property has a perfectly good earthing system (not with standing the bonding issue), and more than probably realistically unachievable?

Reply to Changing consumer unit in flat in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net