Discuss Changing light swicth in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

O

orange

Hi everyone,

I've recently moved house and have been changing the old out-dated light switches and sockets.

So far all has been good, been changing single and double gang switches.

But today, I attempted to change the switch at the top of the landing - but the wiring had more than the other single switches.

I've attached a photo of the orignal and new, the original had wiring going into "L1" & "L2", but the new has the "L2" blocked out. It just had an L and L1.

When I changed it the light wouldn't turn on (clearly messed it up!) - so I put the old switch back on, and followed the wiring from my "Before" photo and now the switch won't turn the light off!

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Thank you

Changing light swicth {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

The switch that you have bought is a one-way switch. The original is a two-way switch. You'll need to go and buy the correct one!

EDIT You'll also need a two-way one at the other end (there's two switches, right?)

PS i assume the two red wires you have moved to the new switch, should live in the spare terminal on the old switch? Best to put them back there for now or you'll get lost.

ALWAYS take a photo of switches etc before you disconnect any wires, or you'll be needing a multimeter and a junior electricians course to get things working again;)

Last edited:
need to see your before photo coz.that aint right how you show it there.

Thanks fellas. I've bought a 2 way switch and still cannot get the light to switch off! So I've messed something up, think it's time to call in a pro for this one :D

It looks like you have a cable with red yellow and blue cores and a cable with two red cores coming into the switch box (though it is not totally clear).
The red yellow and blue cores from the one cable should usually be one core to each terminal (which should be the same terminals as the switch at the other end of the room has e.g. yellow to common in both switches, blue to L2 in both switches, red to L1 in both switches.
Then the twin red cores should normally go into L1 for one core and L2 for the other core.
This is what would be done with a standard three wire wiring arrangement, but yours may not be like this.
Get someone in if you are at all unsure, do not risk your life to have a light working.

Thanks fellas. I've bought a 2 way switch and still cannot get the light to switch off! So I've messed something up, think it's time to call in a pro for this one :D
Sounds like you have the supply live cable and the (switch wire) the cable which is connected to your live terminal on your light connected together. This would mean the light is permanently on.
Follow the instructions Richard has kindly posted above. From the picture I would guess he is correct in his assumption. If you are not sure though it is wise to get an electrician in.

Reply to Changing light swicth in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock