Discuss charging multiple electrical devices in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

That's what I do do...it's annoying, not just to actually do (or more likely forget to do), but with plugs hanging and/or falling on the floor, it's messy and an ugly solution.

surely the plugs hang and fall on the floor when you unplug the chargers when they are not in use just as much as when only one is in use?

Or do you leave them permanently plugged in and wasting electricity?

As said, you could use a round pin adapter anywhere in your house, or just remember to charge your bathrooms items. My electric toothbrushes and shaver tend to last about 5 days before needing charging, I've never felt the need to charge them simultaneously or sequentially.

Yes, but that is the problem I'm trying to solve...it's a pita to do that, so I wondered if there's a reason why a better solution, such as the one I suggest, isn't viable/plausible.

It sounds like most people don't think there's a need, but I certainly do. My shaver, for example, isn't just a charging device, but a cleaning device. My toothbrush is almost at the point where it does need charging every night. I'd quite like to not have the bother of moving them around and/or unplugging/plugging them in all the time. The don't need long to charge/clean/etc, so I don't even need them to be powered all the time, so why not just automatically switch them in the middle of the night (or perhaps even sense when they stop drawing current and switch to the next one...or something).

That's what I do do...it's annoying, not just to actually do (or more likely forget to do), but with plugs hanging and/or falling on the floor, it's messy and an ugly solution.

If this is really a problem enough for you to suggest a change in the regs, and you don't see why the regs are like they currently are, then just ignore them and install more sockets in the bathroom.
In the long term you can make your fortune developing a multi socket sequential charger.

If this is really a problem enough for you to suggest a change in the regs, and you don't see why the regs are like they currently are, then just ignore them and install more sockets in the bathroom.
In the long term you can make your fortune developing a multi socket sequential charger.

I don't think I'm suggesting a change in the regs....or *am* I? I guess that is actually the root of my question, actually.

[edit] ...and to ask if there is already such a thing, which is seems not.

I think the main reason no such device exists is that nobody has yet made one, or,if they have they haven't been able to manufacture and sell it profitably.

Personally if I needed two shaver sockets then I would install two shaver sockets, although I've never had a bathroom with any shaver sockets.

There are a lot of mirror/cupboard units with incorporated lights and shaver socket out there, and I think I have fitted one at some time which had a shaver socket inside the cupboard and one on the outside.

I don't think I'm suggesting a change in the regs....or *am* I? I guess that is actually the root of my question, actually.

[edit] ...and to ask if there is already such a thing, which is seems not.

A change in thenregs is just the start, you'd need a change in the approach of the vast ,ajority of electricians too. I still occasionally encounter electrician she who are applying regulations which were removed many many years ago. I've had one recently try to tell me that the regulations don't allow a flex of more than 2metres length to be installed, despite this having been removed from the regulations in the 70's (or possibly 80's)

Guys: Do you think that maybe the reason nobody has already invented what the OP wants, is that in reality there's no call for it ?
Don't know about you guys, but in all my years in the trade I've never been asked for anything like it.
The majority of houses don't have a shaver socket in the bathroom & when one is installed a lot of them don't even get used.

> The majority of houses don't have a shaver socket in the bathroom

I suppose I might be wrong, but I don't think I've *ever* been in a bathroom without one. They're often simply part of a light, of course, but anyway.

> & when one is installed a lot of them don't even get used.

I'd like to see references for that.

Of course, *I* am calling for it. I could be the first, but a quick search on Google shows I am certainly not alone. I guess most people give up looking, or are told it's against regulations and go one of the other routes. Giving up isn't the same as 'no call for it'...almost the opposite, I'd say.

Where would you in your wisdom suggest these references are obtained from ?
My reply comes from over 40 years in the industry. As for the I am calling for it, feel free.
I won't say good luck with your quest, personally I think you need to find something more intelligent to waste your life on.

Bye

> The majority of houses don't have a shaver socket in the bathroom

I suppose I might be wrong, but I don't think I've *ever* been in a bathroom without one. They're often simply part of a light, of course, but anyway.

> & when one is installed a lot of them don't even get used.

I'd like to see references for that.

Of course, *I* am calling for it. I could be the first, but a quick search on Google shows I am certainly not alone. I guess most people give up looking, or are told it's against regulations and go one of the other routes. Giving up isn't the same as 'no call for it'...almost the opposite, I'd say.
All we can do David is work to the current regulations that are on hand.
Like I said with a bit of jest thrown in you can have socket outlets in a bathroom, just make sure they are rcd protected and 3meters away from the edge of your bath mate

Reply to charging multiple electrical devices in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net