Discuss Chasing machine ? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Soulsurfer

-
Arms
Reaction score
Anyone got any opinions on wall chasing machines &/or hoovers as got more & more to do now and thinking of buying one. Hilti DC-SE20 seems top dog but only afford second hand at around £450 ish.

Thanks for any ideas opinions

Most of my stuff is Hilti, but I got the Metabo 110V tracking/chasing machine and hoover. (I also have a Hilti hoover.) Practically no dust. (Except for once when I set it all up including power take-off on the hoover and started cutting only to realise I'd forgotten to connect the hose between the hoover and the machine! Oops...

http://www.screwflix..com/p/erbauer-erb383wch-125mm-wall-chaser-230-240v/58708

Nilfisk Multi 20T 1400W 20L Wet and Dry 230V Vacuum Cleaner with Blow Function - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nilfisk-Multi-20T-1400W-20L-Wet-and-Dry-230V-Vacuum-Cleaner-with-Blow-Function-/191481801760?hash=item2c95346c20:g:YwAAAOSw8d9UtgD~

I have the Makita chaser and Vacuum. I had a huge rewire on so went out and brought the erbauer chaser from screwfix and nilfisk hoover so could have two people chasing. IMO it's just as good as the Makita setup and would recommend for under £200.

I have the Titan wall chaser from Screwfix which I used on a rewire and it was spot on. It has twin blades which you can ammend the width and depth of. Set it to it's max of 30mm wide, then afterwards went round with an Armeg angled 'scoop' chisel on my SDS drill to remove the chase. Takes literally 2-3 minutes to do a full wall chase.

The chaser cost about £70 and the matching Titan vacuums start at £30 onwards depending on capacity, so you can get yourself a chaser/vacuum setup for £100.

Geez was even looking at Sealey wet/dry hoovers as cheaper at £86 odd where Hilti was £1K ! Great advice fellas just don't like 4" grinder and gaffa taped door frames anymore ! So much mess for days after

I've got the Titan wall chaser and a Henry Hoover , don't rate the Titan , spend some money on something decent

If your going to the expense of buying a wall chaser and hoover, you are probably doing a lot of such work? IMO the most important part of the set up is the hoover. Used someone's Metabo chaser & hoover, no dust at all, and the chaser wasn't bulky or un-manoeuvrable. Downside is it is expensive £850ish. The hoover has some sort tapping thing inside which stops the filters from clogging up with dust.
Hired a couple of units from Tool Hire shops, which were next to useless. One of them adapted a Henry hoover to fit the chaser, and said when it gets bunged up, we just replace the hoover!

and how would you do that?
I note you are a Trainee, so I hope this isn't a have! By carrying out a survey of your proposed to be chased wall.

In a domestic property, pipes and cables concealed in plaster walls are generally done for aesthetics, to feed or supply sockets, radiators or other features. So for example, cutting a chase above a radiator is fraught with danger. However, if you are to cut a vertical chase down a wall devoid of any feature, a check of the ceiling void above said proposed chase should reveal any hidden pipes/cables; it is unusual (but not without possibility) for any service to be horizontally in the middle of a wall devoid of features. If in any doubt, one could use a multi detector, although they are not infallible. I suspect many have cut through a hidden pipe or cable, but then that's part of life's rich tapestry.

invest in a hilti with a decent hoover if doing anything near occupied properties.
for unoccupied an erbauer with a henry does the job just fine, but you need a dust mask and other trades on the job will not be very happy.

I note you are a Trainee, so I hope this isn't a have! By carrying out a survey of your proposed to be chased wall.

In a domestic property, pipes and cables concealed in plaster walls are generally done for aesthetics, to feed or supply sockets, radiators or other features. So for example, cutting a chase above a radiator is fraught with danger. However, if you are to cut a vertical chase down a wall devoid of any feature, a check of the ceiling void above said proposed chase should reveal any hidden pipes/cables; it is unusual (but not without possibility) for any service to be horizontally in the middle of a wall devoid of features. If in any doubt, one could use a multi detector, although they are not infallible. I suspect many have cut through a hidden pipe or cable, but then that's part of life's rich tapestry.

yes trainee but iv done a fair amount of hands on wall chasing, first fixing etc.

I guess what I was trying to understand was if there was a fool proof way to know if its safe to use the chasing machine or not. What detector tools would you suggest, if any??

I've got a erbauer chaser from screwfix and a nilfisk hoover, a combo I had recommended on here sometime ago and I couldn't be happier with it. I suppose it depends how much you use it but for my half dozen rewires a year plus odd sockets here and there it's great. Probably cost only jus over £200 for the lot.

Reply to Chasing machine ? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock